GP with 400 Front coil spring questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Hey guys. I have a 1979 Pontiac GP with a 400, fiberglass hood and with the AC compressor and ac hoses removed. I have the original stock front springs and it actually rides pretty good (bilstein shocks). I'm looking to lower the car and will be installing the taller lower ball joint. It seems the moog 5958 coil spring should lower the front an additional .5 inch??? Others say 5660 would be better.

Why is it that even with guys putting in a 2" drop spring from UMI it only lowers the car by only a half inch? Is it that the original springs already sag substantially?

Ribbedroof

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Why is it that even with guys putting in a 2" drop spring from UMI it only lowers the car by only a half inch? Is it that the original springs already sag substantially?

Yes, all those lowering springs are calculated from original ride height as when the springs were new.
30-40 year old springs are usually pretty weak compared to their original ride height, so not much drop with drop springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
82GrandPrix Pontiac Grand Prix/Grand Am/LeMans/Bonneville 25

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor