GP403's 87 Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
So, unless the deal falls through, I'm buying an '87 Cutlass Supreme today.

You know the mythical grandma's garage-kept Sunday-church car? I found one. Grandma had to go to "the home" and the car's got to go. She had it since '89 if the story is true.

73K documented miles. Body is nearly spotless. one small dent in the PS fender, and the LR wheel trim got mangled by a tire. Paint on the hood is typical late '80s GM checking/crap/peeling etc. but the rest isn't bad. Needs a DS front grille, has one piece busted out. Vinyl top is seriously in good shape. Underneath is clean.

Interior is seriously mint, the only thing I could see is the headliner falling, but eh that's par. All the plastics are the original shade of blue and the dash is so minty I could lick it. Could maybe use a new carpet if it doesn't clean up nice.

307 with the 200-4r, not sure of the gears, but not a posi. leaking oil like a biotch, but I don't think its the rear mains, looks like the front intake and valve covers.... The AC compressor (still blows cold) got replaced along with the steering pump at some point, shiny stickers and brand new PS hoses. I guess she had the dealer's number on speed dial.

Needs shocks all around, rides like a flipping marshmallow. I think they're still original (red Gabriels.) Brakes feel good. I really don't need another car ATM, but damn, I can't let this fall into the wrong hands.

Question: Were all of these AIR pump cars by '87 or was that still a California thing? I honestly have no idea. This is pretty late model for what I know. I'm sure I'll be picking the collective-forum-brain on how to deal with all the "new" stuff.

I will post a metric sh*t ton of pix later, and this will be a "project car" for the GBodyMag site, so you'll see it there (and here of course!)...

I haven't decided its fate yet... If it will just get "restored" or if there needs to be more done. If you know what I mean.

IMG_2729.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Welcome to the dark side... lol
Good score, I am assuming it's a standard non-pillow bench interior?
Does it have any F41 suspension goodies?
AIR pumps were on all 81-88 Cutlasses regardless of what plant it had.
I say customized the crap out of it...

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Welcome to the dark side... lol
Good score, I am assuming it's a standard non-pillow bench interior?
Does it have any F41 suspension goodies?
AIR pumps were on all 81-88 Cutlasses regardless of what plant it had.
I say customized the crap out of it...

Yup, thankfully its a split bench so if I want to put buckets in I'm good.
I didn't look for the F41 stuff. But, I have a set of sway bars around somewhere, in any case.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Congratulations!
Sounds like a great score. Finding these gems are not as common as they once were. I'm standing by to see the pics when you get them loaded up.

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
Sweet ride. I love that shade of blue on these cars!

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Waist deep in the Grand Prix project and he's scooping up another car! lol
Sounds like somebody I know... :D
Glad to know I'm not the only one that makes such impulsive decisions!

Looks like a nice car!

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Done deal. This thing really is in good shape. Grandma (not mine!) bought this girl in '88 with 17k on it, and basically wrote a diary of everything done to it. Lots of work on oil leaks, and on the AC. You can see where a few places took advantage of her, one tire shop for over a grand worth of stuff. Too bad, really. Got to love the early entries like "4 tires, ~$250" Well, here, just have a gander. Apart from the oil leaks and the marshmallow ride, she's great. Got to make a hole in the shop to store herwhile I finish the GP now :mrgreen:

AND she's gonna need a name for the other site :D maybe a poll is in order.

IMG_3207.jpg IMG_3209.jpg IMG_3210.jpg IMG_3211.jpg IMG_3212.jpg IMG_3213.jpg IMG_3214.jpg IMG_3215.jpg IMG_3217.jpg IMG_3218.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
AND she's gonna need a name for the other site :D maybe a poll is in order.

How about "Project Blue Hair"?
:mrgreen:
Pays tribute to Grandma and her car and is a nod to the color.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor