GP403's Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I'll admit it. I've been neglecting the GP lately and doing some other things, like fixing old (like vacuum tube old) radios, and putting together a decent ham radio shack. Will take my technician and general license test on 2/11.

Here's some of the old ones I've done, are, or will be working on. Just a few, I've got too many atm and need to stop picking up these derelicts. :mrgreen:

'63 Stereo Turntable and AM/FM...

B-17 Bomber radio ~1942, its a basket case. Haven't even started this one yet.

'37 Philco 37-10. Electrically complicated, cabinet is in the house holding up this one for now....

'38 RCA 86T. Had to replace all the rotted rubber wiring along with all the capacitors and a few other bits. Works great, and has a line-in for the MP3 player/iPhone.

And the shack as it is. Listen only for now. No it isn't actually sideways :/ just how this stupid board handled the pic. I need to report this to the admin. I'll fix this later...

Attachments

• shack.jpg
    shack.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 1,247

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
Cool! This non G body section will give a lot of insight as to what makes us all tick!

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Hey GP403...Ive got a couple antique radios...any ideas on who or where to sell them? Not a big fan of craigslist or ebay...Thanks!

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Wow I just got a flashback of my Old Man dragging me to Wallgreens to test all the tubes in the TV set. :shock:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I remember tubes. One of my earliest memories was riding all over town with my dad truing to find one to fix our old TV that was black and white... and green.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
What cool radios. I remember my dad bringing home an old Philco floor standing radio. It didn't work, but it was cool to look at.
I too recall going to different electronics/ TV repair stores to test out old tubes from my dad's Mcintosh (and Scott) stereo amp and tuners.
I would imagine trying to find tube testers are like looking for hen's teeth.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Longroof79 said:
I would imagine trying to find tube testers are like looking for hen's teeth.

I actually found this one on CL from a guy that lives about a mile from where I work....

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
i like messing aroung with thos old tvs and radios as well i have a sh*t TON of old but good vacuum tubes so if u even need one and cant find it any where lmk me kno the number on it and ill see it i got it.im working on making a hood ornament out of a vac tube i have a few that kinda light up really dim but sill has light comin form it and i plan on hooking it up and eveything i have a old tube tester that dont work anymore and im goin to take the the part where the tube plugs in on the tester and ues it so i can takethe tube off the car when needs be and just plug it back in when its time o go back on

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
My dad's been into HAM radio for years..he's gone through numerous call names..i think he's NA4F now if i remember correctly. I'm gonna show him your thread when i see him this weekend...he's rounding 70 but he has a nice collection of amplifiers and radios as well...he's built beams in the backyard and has been interfering with telephone lines since I can remember!! He's also a former hotrodder (1967 Plymouth GTX, 1971 Chevelle, 78 Vette L82)..he used to always try to pull me to the side and make me watch him and his partners work on cars but I was too busy chasing a basketball or baseball (and girls...) Now that I'm into cars he's just sitting back watching me play catch up i guess..like I tell my wife "You just can't have one passion.." I'm a DJ since 19, published record producer, record collector, IT nerd (unix admin day job), photographer,avid baseball enthusiast/coach (played up until college at Davidson College), and budding 'mechanic'..you have to appreciate a person with multiple passions and being knowledgeable of them all. Nice post Broseph!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor