BUILD THREAD GP403's sort-of-build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I think the '79 factory 5-speed was something called a T-50. I asked once about this transmission and got crickets. Got any data?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I think the '79 factory 5-speed was something called a T-50. I asked once about this transmission and got crickets. Got any data?

I might have something around here, I'll post it if I can find it.... You might try searching for it here again, since I put the new search engine upgrade in, it might actually show up, but you might have to wade through a bunch to get it.

The T-50 sounds right, I know it was a BW unit. IIRC it was the exact same thing they put in the Monzas & Family, only with a straight up "rail" shifter which was in the back of it. Olds was the only to use it in the G-body as far as I know, and only on the 260... I think. The shifter sat way back compared to the 3/4 speeds, and straight up instead of offset to the left. I remember the only reason he bought the Cutlass was for the transmission so he'd have overdrive. Then I got the Cutlass with an automatic in it. :p

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Sounds like a forerunner to the T-5. Pictures would be cool. I spent years researching the T-5 and have wondered if I could put a Ford tailhousing on a GM transmission, in order to get the upright trans mount. But I'd need to custom make a yoke bushing to fit the smaller GM output shaft in the housing made for the bigger Ford yoke. Plots and schemes. Moot now that I bought a Tremec 600 and cut the floor to fit.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
dumb question, since I should know this... Are the hood hinges supposed to be painted or plated? Mine are a lovely shade of rust, and I need to do something with them. Maybe just new ones. My list of stuff I have to get is long and getting longer.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Black, from 20 years ago before they turned brown. Probably a black oxide coating rather than paint.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
You have to accept that life will be harder when you're a 'Do-It-Alone' kinda guy...

Story of my life! ^^^^^^^^

But about the thread....
I can't believe you've owned the GP for 20 years! Good luck with the 403!

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Good luck with the project, looks like you really dove right in there! Too late now but, when I have a known good motor apart, I take a wire brush wheel on a drill and get all the crud off the tops of the pistons and the heads. Sometimes a plastic knife is good for scraping carbon off, especially the valve faces. This way I start with a clean combustion chamber that "should" run fine. In fact I will rarely open a tight motor unless mechanical damage is indicated.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
If I put in a Toyota synergy drive I could call it the Grand Prius. Now that would be awesome.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Was waiting to see a thread on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor