BUILD THREAD Grand national booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

1STLATIGERDIVISON

Greasemonkey
Nov 6, 2016
NW Louiwiana
I just read a Grand national booster with the Powermaster conversion kit might work in my G body SS . Are the boosters the same the thing is on eBay & looks somewhat close in match. I am the one with the vac problem on my car as it produces 8" of vac & not the 18" required , the cam is pulling the vac

Thx again as all advice is very welcomed

Gary

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The powermaster system has a lot of problems and many of the GN guys are switching to vac brakes because of that and cost of the replacement parts. I would look into a belt driven vac pump mounted on the engine or possibly hydroboost otherwise.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Powermaster conversion would be great if they were still $200 for a new one, but its like $600 for a rebuilt one and you'll have $1000 in it in no time.

When the Powermaster went bad in 2011, we converted my T-type to Hydraboost. In 2017 I would do this before Powermaster. If it was 1998, I would tell you Powermaster. That ship has sailed.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Agreed. Runaway from the powermaster. Get a hydroboost from a factory diesel gbody, or 84-85 turbobuick. There is writeup on turbobuick.com on how to install.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I just read a Grand national booster with the Powermaster conversion kit might work in my G body SS . Are the boosters the same the thing is on eBay & looks somewhat close in match. I am the one with the vac problem on my car as it produces 8" of vac & not the 18" required , the cam is pulling the vac

Thx again as all advice is very welcomed

Gary

Gary,
the "Powermaster conversions" on Ebay are just Monte Carlo SS brake setups. A TR makes boost, but when you let off it makes 16in of vacuum, so a vacuum conversion will work (if there is a working check valve and you don't brake and gas at the same time).

With a car that only pulls 8in of vacuum at idle, an Ebay "powermaster conversion kit" is going to be identical to what you currently have.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would start by installing a vacuum canister first and see if that stores enough extra vacuum to help you stop and then upgrade from there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor