Grandpa Car: 1979 Cutlass Thread

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Just binge-watched this thread from the beginning. I'm glad your grandfather took such good care of this survivor so you could enjoy it and remember him well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Nice score.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Well, gotta start somewhere. Now...just gotta find a 425 to kick off the revolution.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Driven I think your Cutlass is probably one of the most tastefully modded cars on this forum. I think it's awesome you are still running the stock motor instead of immediately yanking it out and throwing in whatever the Chevy engine of the week is. That takes a level of patience and self control that I lack.

And the fact that you are going with a 425 instead of the usual 350 or 455, that's just the icing on the cake.

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Thanks, man I appreciate that. Honestly, if it didn't run so good and wasn't so reliable, it probably would have been swapped years ago. Truth is, it's just fine the way it is.
I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that my grandpa was an Olds guy back into the '40s and he never was too impressed with this car. Even though I've had it for over 10 years now I still kind of think of it as his car so I still want to be somewhat respectful with the way it goes together. I know, corny.
That being said, this swap isn't happening anytime soon and I have a ton of parts to collect. In fact, I'm on the lookout for a 260 car that's being parted out so that I can get all the factory pieces to make the conversion. The goal is for it to look like it came off of an assembly line rather than out of a hotrodder's garage.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that my grandpa was an Olds guy back into the '40s and he never was too impressed with this car. Even though I've had it for over 10 years now I still kind of think of it as his car so I still want to be somewhat respectful with the way it goes together. I know, corny.

No I totally get wanting to keep it respectful toward your grandfather. I think that's awesome. Cars are always cooler when they are inherited or have some family history.

The goal is for it to look like it came off of an assembly line rather than out of a hotrodder's garage.

So no hot rod flames? :mrgreen:

On a serious note I think the best way to do up a car is to make it look like it came from the factory. I've tried to keep my Regal such that it might look original to the untrained eye, and I've used as many Buick parts when and where I could find and afford them.

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Went for a little drive today because the weather was just so nice. Before I tucked it back in the garage I took a short sound clip vid at Cwc 's request. But it would appear that I can't upload directly from my phone.
Screenshot_20181231-162538_Gallery.jpg

Sorry guys, I'm not setting up YouTube account so Google can snoop even further over a 10 second sound clip. If there's a way to upload directly, by all means let me know.

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I’m sure it sounds great, but I just like drooling over how damn clean that thing is every time you post a pic of it.
🤤

Carry on sir...

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Donovan I hear you, I can hardly wait to strip the paint on the 88. All of them up here are chebby powered except the 88, HO and 442. Me being a SBO guy, I would go with the new 4" billet stroker crank in a 350 block. The same 425 ci but way lighter and stronger parts. You could really make it look like a 260 with Thornton manifolds, A4 or Performer intake. Cutlassefi got 400+ hp and 500+ ft/lbs out of a 9 to 1 424 ci with #7 heads basically 2"/1.625" valves with the bowls opened, crossover filled, with a mild roller can pulling 18" of vacuum. Up to 427 ci can be done by increasing the bore, .100" over is usually no problem. I would bet it would run on 87 octane, Mark used 89 on the Dyno I believe and very conservative timing, like 30 degrees. Come on, you know you want it. Those BBO heads would go perfect with a RPM intake on a 425 SBO.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Okay guys, a couple spare bucks burning a hole in my pocket and I'm tempted again...

Option #1 "complete engine(rebuildable core) with C heads..ac car 415.00"
8 hours away and pics he's posted in the past show them stored inside. Been listed off and on for many, many months along with a bunch of other Olds stuff.

Option #2 "I have an Olds 425 V8 that is complete, carb to pan. Engine ran when pulled. I'm going a different route which is why I'm getting rid of it. All machine work was done at Mulders machine. Bored .040", factory steel crank, ARP rod bolts, main bolts and head bolts, custom Erson hydraulic cam, MSD distributor, Demon 750 carb, Moroso oil pan, Edelbrock intake. Very low miles. $1500
01111_gFW5gAzamjY_600x450.jpg

00A0A_a0FOMJxRN36_600x450.jpg

Local to me. I might see if he'd sell it as a long block and keep the induction.

I haven't called either guy. Thoughts?
01414_96LFg2B9jPj_600x450.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor