Gratuitous G-Body Goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Wagon got exhaust installed on it yesterday. All there's left to do now is put in the fluids, wire up the starter and AC compressor... and I think at that point I can start it up. Still need to make a dashboard for it, and after it's running I need to take it to a body shop but after all these years and thousands of dollars the wagon will finally be back on the road.

Blueprint 383 SBC with iron heads
Chevy Performance Serpentine Kit
Summit aluminum intake manifold w/ rebuilt 750 CFI Q-Jet
Flowtech long tube headers, Pypes 2.5" X-Pipe dual exhaust
Champion 3 core aluminum radiator w/ V8 G-Body fan shroud and nylon flex fan
TCI Street Fighter 700R4 and G-Force double hump crossmember
Front spindles swapped out for 2" drop spindles for a '98-'04 Blazer giving me floating rotors, and dual piston discs
Front steering shaft swapped for 90's Grand Cherokee giving me a U-Joint instead of a rag joint
Steering box swapped for 2.5 lock to lock Monte Carlo box with all new Pitman arm, Idler arm, center link and tie rods
Rear disc brakes off of an '98-'04 Blazer
Monroe load leveling shocks front and rear
UMI Performance Tubular rear upper and lower control arms w/ 1" sway bar
Moser rebuilt GM 12 bolt rear axle w/ Eaton posi @ 3:42 ratio
Staggered fit 15" Aluminum rims. 15x7 up front 15x8 in back with 235/60R15 up front and 255/60R15 in rear
One metric ton of blood, sweat, tears, and the knowledge that I have now sent the hardware store owner's children to college.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Cool project. Damn, that broken balancer bolt looked ugly.
Thanks, yeah that was a pain in the rear end. I forget how I managed to break that... I think what I did wrong was slam the balancer on there with the bolt, and then I realized I needed to take it off for some reason and well... that was the result.

It was a bit of a foam helmet moment on my part.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Like, when that happened my heart sank into my feet because I thought I was gonna have to bring it to a machine shop to get it fixed and it was already in the car and everything. So I just took my time, drilled it out little by little... broke probably a dozen drill bits... and finally tapped it out and threaded the new bolt in nice and smooth with the balancer and pulley put on the right way... with a press! lol

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Got the battery in with some brand new ACDelco battery cables... way longer than I needed since they don't make them for V8 G-Bodies anymore and I had to guess which ones would work. More is better than not enough though so I looped and zip tied the excess out of the way. Wired everything up and the car has lights, ignition, and power. Only hitch is that I went to start priming the engine with oil and double check the connections to the starter by turning it over (spark plugs out, no ignition wires of course) and the starter just kept... going, and going, and going.

I guess the solenoid in the starter is sticking. I wish I could put the old starter I pulled out of the cappy in there... it's way way lighter than that monster starter I've got in there now, but I picked out a 168 tooth flexplate instead of 153 like an idiot.

Just got few more things to do and it should soon be ready to start so I can tune it and start finding out all the bugs I have to work out of the system!

Attachments

• 31646753_10155217918702001_3888719933042851840_o.jpg
    31646753_10155217918702001_3888719933042851840_o.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 370
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor