Graveyard Carz show

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Anybody else ever watch this show and appreciate the knowledge and detail and wish it was about 78-88 G bodies instead of late 60/early 70's mopars? I think their sh*t is pretty legit.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I love it because Mark is so brain damaged about the cars being perfectly stock.

The TV was on Velocity in the Kitchen yesterday and as I'm walking by I see a guy pull up in a White AAR with T/A's "340 Six Pack" sticker on the side and I say out loud "well Mark's not going to like that!". I better see what what he says.

He asks the owner about his "favorite things about car" and I can't decide if he wants him to include the Six Pack stickers, so he can tell him how wrong they are or not include the stickers so he won't have to put them back on. When the owner says his favorite things about the car are the strobe stripes and "340 Six Pack" Engine, Mark mumbles "340 six barrel" and you can see on his face how much it tears him up he called it "Six Pack". The owner and his brother seemed completely oblivious. With so much fake reality TV, moments like this can't be scripted.

Anyone who has restored a Mopar can appreciate the show, but the entire premise of the show is flawed. Stock restored Mopars drive like complete *ss. A Stock restored GM, Ford or AMC drives 10X better. Mopars got modded on day 1 because they sucked to drive stock. Overboosted steering, awful driving positions, Manual or Power DRUM brakes all around, 3/4 ton Truck leaf springs in the back, Front suspension that relied on a stiff unit body that wasn't stiff at all, which all add's up to about .65G on the skid pad (AAR's did .71G - For reference GN's did .84G stock) and 200ft+ 60-0 average stopping distances (130 ft for the first stop, 230 ft for the next one and it just goes up from there). But hey, they are cool to look at.

Sure, Stock restored Mopars command the big bucks, but that is because so few were made and people don't know (or remember) how truly awful they drive.

A guy I went to high school with is supposed to get an episode coming up restoring their dad's '70 Barracuda Convertible. When it airs I'll get to see how much truth they share. I know it's not polite to speak ill of the dead but their dad was kind of a ****.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
First, let me say I'm not a Mopar fan. I don't get it. I can only think of 2 or 3 I would ever own, and they aren't the popular ones either.
I think it'll be another 50 years until we see a show l Iike that devoted to Gbodys. It would be my guess that I'd be in the minority to say I actually like Mike. Took a while to get used to his schtick but you can't deny his knowledge base. To me, the show has gotten better. It seems to have more educational value recently which is why I ever watch. The earlier seasons had too much fabricated drama. Glad they're getting back to the cars.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Anybody else ever watch this show and appreciate the knowledge and detail and wish it was about 78-88 G bodies instead of late 60/early 70's mopars? I think their sh*t is pretty legit.

Agreed, I like the show but unfortunately it's about mopars. UNGN has mentioned this in a few earlier posts and again above....Those cars drive like complete garbage in stock form. When they're done with the restorations they make good museum pieces / trailer queens.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I love it because Mark is so brain damaged about the cars being perfectly stock.

The TV was on Velocity in the Kitchen yesterday and as I'm walking by I see a guy pull up in a White AAR with T/A's "340 Six Pack" sticker on the side and I say out loud "well Mark's not going to like that!". I better see what what he says.

He asks the owner about his "favorite things about car" and I can't decide if he wants him to include the Six Pack stickers, so he can tell him how wrong they are or not include the stickers so he won't have to put them back on. When the owner says his favorite things about the car are the strobe stripes and "340 Six Pack" Engine, Mark mumbles "340 six barrel" and you can see on his face how much it tears him up he called it "Six Pack". The owner and his brother seemed completely oblivious. With so much fake reality TV, moments like this can't be scripted.

Anyone who has restored a Mopar can appreciate the show, but the entire premise of the show is flawed. Stock restored Mopars drive like complete *ss. A Stock restored GM, Ford or AMC drives 10X better. Mopars got modded on day 1 because they sucked to drive stock. Overboosted steering, awful driving positions, Manual or Power DRUM brakes all around, 3/4 ton Truck leaf springs in the back, Front suspension that relied on a stiff unit body that wasn't stiff at all, which all add's up to about .65G on the skid pad (AAR's did .71G - For reference GN's did .84G stock) and 200ft+ 60-0 average stopping distances (130 ft for the first stop, 230 ft for the next one and it just goes up from there). But hey, they are cool to look at.

Sure, Stock restored Mopars command the big bucks, but that is because so few were made and people don't know (or remember) how truly awful they drive.

A guy I went to high school with is supposed to get an episode coming up restoring their dad's '70 Barracuda Convertible. When it airs I'll get to see how much truth they share. I know it's not polite to speak ill of the dead but their dad was kind of a ****.
Comparing a '70 cuda on bias plys to a GN on radials isn't really a fair comparison. But having never driven a 100% factory correct mopar, I couldn't say.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Comparing a '70 cuda on bias plys to a GN on radials isn't really a fair comparison. But having never driven a 100% factory correct mopar, I couldn't say.

Its not "fair" that a car with 215/65's can pull nearly .15 G more on the skid pad than a car with the equivalent of 235/60 front and 255/60 rear? Sure. I"m not the one putting crap rubber on the car, GYC is.

Only brain damage can explain the insistance of putting on inferior factory tires over modern rubber, if the cost is the same, right? Having a mopar that is "all original, as delivered" is mental disorder on par with "hoaders" or "my 600lb life".
People are paying $60-$150K for a car they will absolutely hate to drive.

Look for a spin off show in the future that takes GYC restorations and makes them driveable in 2017 with modern steering, modern brakes, modern suspension, modern motors, modern wheels and tires... screw it just buy a hellcat and call it good.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Its not "fair" that a car with 215/65's can pull nearly .15 G more on the skid pad than a car with the equivalent of 235/60 front and 255/60 rear? Sure. I"m not the one putting crap rubber on the car, GYC is.

Only brain damage can explain the insistance of putting on inferior factory tires over modern rubber, if the cost is the same, right? Having a mopar that is "all original, as delivered" is mental disorder on par with "hoaders" or "my 600lb life".
People are paying $60-$150K for a car they will absolutely hate to drive.

Look for a spin off show in the future that takes GYC restorations and makes them driveable in 2017 with modern steering, modern brakes, modern suspension, modern motors, modern wheels and tires... screw it jut buy a hellcat and call it good.
Of course a GN being almost 20 years newer with better tires, better suspension design, etc would do better on a skidpad than an AAR cuda. It doesn't matter if the older tires were wider, they were piles of sh*t. And not all mopars came with drums all around. I've seen more GM stuff (pre g body of course) with 4 wheel drums than mopars. I've never really understood the point of them being so against modding the cars, or at least making them safe to drive. It just takes one swerve to avoid a pothole in those old cars and the car does a richard petty into the nearest object. I guarantee the first thing the people do when they get those cars home are put actual suspensions under those cars with radial tires and shove everything else in the basement/garage. Coker does make tires that look like the old poly/bisa ply ties but are actually radials, but I don't think they use those. I do admire their tenacity though. Going so far as to imitate the factory markings and wiring, etc.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Of course a GN being almost 20 years newer with better tires, better suspension design, etc would do better on a skidpad than an AAR cuda. It doesn't matter if the older tires were wider, they were piles of sh*t. And not all mopars came with drums all around. I've seen more GM stuff (pre g body of course) with 4 wheel drums than mopars.

That's because most of the Mopars with 4 wheels drum brakes were destroyed in accidents caused by 4 wheel drum brakes before you were born. Back in the '70's/ 80's nearly EVERY road runner had Red front brake drums showing behind the wheels. Drums were faster in the 1/4 so people actually ordered cars that way. You could get one good stop out of drums, so they were fine for the 1/4 mile. Most Mopars had 14" wheels so "good" disks wouldn't fit, anyway.

I guarantee the first thing the people do when they get those cars home are put actual suspensions under those cars with radial tires and shove everything else in the basement/garage.

And you would be wrong. Mental disorders akin to OCD just don't "go away". The owners of these cars actually believe their car is now somehow superior to all others because it has the correct markings in completely hidden areas. No matter how much stop light embarrassment they endure, dished out by teenage girls in their Mom's V6 Camry will cure them of their delusions.

Backing their car on/off a trailer to the oohs and aahs of people who share their mental disorder seals it for them. Their car will ALWAYS drive like a complete POS, just like Mother Mopar built it. And it will collect dust in a garage until a son or grandson inherits it, then within a week rearends a loaded semi that out brakes it or wraps it around a pole just trying to make a left turn arrow.

Last edited:
  • Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That's because most of the Mopars with 4 wheels drum brakes were destroyed in accidents caused by 4 wheel drum brakes before you were born. Back in the '70's/ 80's nearly EVERY road runner had Red front brake drums showing behind the wheels. Drums were faster in the 1/4 so people actually ordered cars that way. You could get one good stop out of drums, so they were fine for the 1/4 mile. Most Mopars had 14" wheels so disks wouldn't fit, anyway.

And you would be wrong. Mental disorders akin to OCD just don't "go away". The owners of these cars actually believe their car is now somehow superior to all others because it has the correct markings in completely hidden areas. No matter how much stop light embarrassment they endure, dished out by teenage girls in their Mom's V6 Camry will cure them of their delusions.

Backing their car on/off a trailer to the oohs and aahs of people who share their mental disorder seals it for them. Their car will ALWAYS drive like a complete POS, just like Mother Mopar built it. And it will collect dust in a garage until a son or grandson inherits it, then within a week rearends a loaded semi that out brakes it or wraps it around a pole just trying to make a left turn arrow.
Yep. Mopar people are nuts. It's a shame. The cars are pretty cool, once brought to a state where they won't actively try to kill you, but 99% of the owners are just dickheads that think they're hot sh*t because their car has more oem bolts than the next guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor