Great Times from Marty..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2019
To all,
Thank you for this FORUM. We just purchased a 1984 Grand National. (without the engine or transmission) Long story short....my boys and I are putting this beauty in the rough back on the road. I have basic knowledge of a little bit of a lot of things and a lot of knowledge of a few things. I do know that the basic rule in any major project is research every avenue many time and get every bit of information from all different avenues before you even open the tool box.
I am excited about this project as I have grown up handing tools to my dad. He was an airplane mechanic for the military and has dropped a few engines into the "P.O.S.'s" my mom would buy while he was overseas and blow the engine. (I was young then)
I would very much like to include this forum in our project as we bring this car back to life..... The basic cliff note version of what has transpired to date:
*Unknown to me, my 15 year old son has always admired the Buick Grand National
*He found a 1984 Grand National for sale without an engine or transmission (Saves pulling the old one to start fresh)
*I was not interested in even looking at the car or diving into this project.
*My 17yr old talked me into going to look at it by saying to me "it is Friday Night...dad is not home yet, you need to at lease look at the car. What else are you doing?
*Went for a ride. Next thing, both my boys were looking at my feet hanging out from under the car as I was under the car checking th frame for damage and rust. (she had solid bones) and for the price, I would rather spend time with the boys under a car than have them doing what most teenagers are doing now days.
*Took a chance and bought this car without the pink slip, only a yellow piece of paper receipt (yeah I know better than to do that, but even if it turned out to be a bad choice my boys would learn a valuable lesson)
*After 5 weeks trying to find out what to do next to get the title and registration transferred from whoever, wherever, even if it has been legally sold. (I was told the original owner was deceased) I spent hours researching our options, and I did not know how to go about getting this done. My boys would ask me what to do next and I told them I had no idea, but thank God for the internet. (We didn't have that resource when I was growing up) We wet down to Bubba under the shade tree at the end of the street to get out information. As with teenagers nowadays, they were on their phones as I was on the computer trying to figure out how to transfer the car with only a yellow piece of paper. Me not knowing and them watching me struggle how to venture into something I had no idea how to approach it, and not having any doubt or fear to ask questions, taught them the #1 lesson in life. You can do anything your put your mid to.
*I was fearful to call DMV directly, because I didn't want to hear that the car was stolen, could not be transfered to me, etc. I made the call. The good Lord was watching our for us. The car did belong to the guy I bought it from, the original owner was deceased, the title was never transferred from the original owner, and there was a non-op on the title. $87.00 later I have the title in our name and we are on our way.
*My 15 yr old has the entire front end dismantled to the frame and is now working on cleaning, sanding and painting the front part of the frame. He has given me every nut and bolt that I clean, catalog and store.
* The frame is almost ready and I am researching the body to frame bushings. I have learned that position 3&4 of this year didn't have the bushings and position #7 probably had only the washers or just the top bushing with a gap.

Anyone who has done this type of project before is more than welcome to join our journey to bring my son's dream to life. As my mom reminded me of alway is that it takes a village to raise a child. I lost my 1st son to Brain Cancer before his 4th birthday, and we chose to make a difference in his memory and actively raise money for pediatric brain tumor research. We have been blessed with 3 more boys since then. Now 22, 17 and 15. Every day that they are still talking to their parents is priceless times and I intend on cleaning as many car parts as they ask me to.

I failed to mention that my 15yr old was short $300.00 on the purchase and my 17yr old gave him his own money to make this happen. (Anyone with more that one child knows that siblings don't always get along....this was mind blowing since they fight over socks.)

I do not have the means to throw money at this car, which makes it even more of an amazing task. The boys are grateful that their mom has no fear (and a little crazy) All I wanted for Mother's Day is to go junk yard hopping. It is a nice change from a 40 hr a week job in heels and a skirt.

So any opinions or suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated.

Reactions: 3 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
welcome to the forum from NC, sounds like you have some great kids!

love the story behind the car, and that your boys are so into it, rather than sitting behind electronic devices and not wanting to do anything else! there's plenty of knowledge here, and no question is too small. there's a few troublemakers, and a few with a dry sense of humor that may seem like they're being rude, but they're helping in their own way. looking forward to following the build, and we absolutely love pics here!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
*My 17yr old talked me into going to look at it by saying to me "it is Friday Night...dad is not home yet, you need to at lease look at the car. What else are you doing?
*Went for a ride. Next thing, both my boys were looking at my feet hanging out from under the car as I was under the car checking th frame for damage and rust.

Wait - is Dad writing this post...or is it Mom? If it's Mom, I'm even more jazzed to help, though there are others on this Forum who speak GN better than me.

Where is this God-blessed project located? We're at your service!

Reactions: 1 user

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
This is a great introduction and a great bonding experience for you & the boys..........I'am thinking its Mom writing and all the power to her !!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor