Greetings all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2006
Hi guys, newbie here. Found this place by Googling a rusty rear frame rail problem. I am currently looking at a Malibu (2 door only options are rear window defrost, ps and pb) and it has cancer in the rear rails pretty bad. Now being a past drag racer, I immediately thought of back halving it, but I want to use this car as a weekly driver and occasional racer so I started looking to see if some one made a rail fix kit. Thanks to this place I found it. Now I am thinking of straightening out the rear rails to just past the wheel well and then kicking them out to where they need to be for added tire clearance. I am shocked no one makes a kit like this to date.
Yeah, I probably have had ten to date, let's count them.

1986 Monte SS - bought with 36K mi Maroon-bench-No T tops - traded off
1983 Cutlass Cruiser - Blue - 454/T400 PS, PB, AC column shifter - sold
1985 Monte - gray 454/T400/12 Bolt SSM bars (never raced it)- sold
1982 Monte - black never finished - sold
1978 Gran Prix - blue daily driver - sold
1978 Malibu - white 6 pt roll bar, never finished - sold
1984 Monte SS full chassis car - 12 pt cage/FAB9/4 link car (just sold, never finished)
1986 Monte SS - white console shift, no t tops, stocker 305 - sold
and possibly an 81 Malibu - silver non ac car

Okay, the sharp eyed guy will say 8 and maybe 9 if you buy this one. However, I have owned numerous Novas and Camaros too! Guess I have lost count.

Funny thing, when I had my T400 and BBC in my wagon and Montes, I made my own cross member and sold it with the monte. I'd like to have it back, it followed the floor really well and I used 3-1/2 inch exhaust on both sides no problem. It went with the 2" Hedman hedders that I cut off the right collector and twisted it straight so the exhause did not have to angle down. Now I see a company is making cross members for the dual exhaust, they look extremely heavy. I'll probably make another one if I buy this car. I already have a set of Drag Star rims, plastic seats, fuel cell, 3 row radiator, 454 oval port 9 to 1 roller motor, 3500 TCI converter, Turbo 400, 3-1/2 inch exhaust (from my wagon/monte 13 years ago), two chamber flowmaster mufflers, MSD 6AL, and several other things I cannot think of right now. I am looking for some pictures to scan, I know I have one of the Cutlass Cruiser engine bay, showing the stock un-altered AC box and my 454 with medium height valve covers (pretty tight fit), and the chassied Monte SS. Rest of my G bodies slipped away with out photos. Neat cars, used to be a dime a dozen, but they were different, not some boring "Oh look another Camaro" cars.

I think tomorrow I will go get that 'bu, put on the wheels, take it for a cruise, and plan for a frame fix that will allow for some 29.5x10.5 M/T slicks. : ) Who knows, maybe a 4 link too.

Sep 6, 2006
Looking for parts

Well as I sit here, there are a few things I need. A correct length 12 bolt or an 8.5 ten bolt GN rear. I had the 66-67 Chevelle rear with the South Side Machine kit. I didn't like it at all. It bound up pretty bad. Hell any A, B, or G body when you undo the shocks the rear end falls out of the car and the springs can be lifted out by hand. Not with the SSM kit. Springs had to be compressed to even get them in! Coil spring cars are meant to separate at launch, not squat! I never liked that kit at all, maybe why I never raced it with the 12 bolt and sold the car and got back into Novas in 1996. Could also use a 4" cowl hood, fiberglass bumpers, and big block headers all for a Malibu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
All I have is a rear bumper for a Malibu.

I use Lakewood No-Hop bars and they work real well. Cured my wheel hop and you can see clearly the lifting of the back end. I have to say I am very happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor