Greetings from Siberia

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hard to imagine finding a running, driving diesel G-body anywhere in that condition, let alone Siberia.

If you want to make your Vortec swap jump a step or two ahead of stock, then now is the time to do it - before you swap it. It should be relatively easy to generate and gather parts - other than the shipping of course. But the parts needed list is not very long.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Welcome to the forum, I'm curious how long it takes for Rockauto to deliver a package to you..:)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
For what it's worth, keep that 350 diesel engine after you remove it. It will be a dx block casting which is stronger than a regular oldsmobile v8 block. It can be rebuilt as a gas motor and take extra power levels.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
added bonus is the factory hydroboost....amazing how clean the car is....

• Agree

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Hi to all! My name is Tim. I’m from Tyumen, Siberia. I had a lot of American cars before come here. Such as ‘90 Grand Marquis, ‘85 Colony Park, some Town Cars, ‘76 AMC Gremlin, ‘85 Econoline ambulance etc. Last year I’ve bought a car, which dream of a lot of time. Truly barnfind. Let me introduce to you ‘79 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

View attachment 151799 View attachment 151800 View attachment 151801 View attachment 151802
Welcome Tim!! My name is Will, WOW BEAUTIFUL Oldsmobile you have and I love the story behind it equally as much! Just amazing!

I'm pretty familiar with the Oldsmobile diesels, and by time 1985 rolled around, Oldsmobile had most of the kinks worked out of the diesel program , unfortunately by this time it was too late and GM sent the ax. We could talk all day about the problems they did have with earlier Diesels, but too, a lot of issues were caused by the customers and technicians at the time as well. The major failure was head gaskets to the Oldsmobile diesel V8's, that were caused by the weak torque-to-yield (TTY) head bolts and too few of them! Only 4 per cylinder, unlike when they released the 4.3 V6 Oldsmobile Diesel, they had 6 per cylinder, and the fuel system was equipped with a quality water separator, something the V8's did NOT. Water and injection pumps do not mix, and this too was another high failure rate.

Defiantly save the engine when you pull it! There are some collectors now who pay big money for running Oldsmobile Diesels. Again Tim, Welcome, and thanks for joining this wonderful G body family!

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Wow... Siberia. Thats where my mother always threatened to send me. :D

Welcome!

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user

Game Over

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2020
Tyumen, Siberia
Game Over, welcome to GBF, and thanks for showing us pictures of your Cutlass. Right now, to you, I am from yesterday. What is the time difference between you in Siberia, and me in Seattle, Wa.? Maybe about 17-18 hrs?
We are in GMT+5

Reactions: 1 user

Game Over

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2020
Tyumen, Siberia
This takes the cake, as we say. :mrgreen:

We've had members in Western Europe and the Near East (in our West-centric terms). More recently there have been one or two in South America. And most recently someone posted from Tahiti, of all places (reporting some trouble getting parts there). But SIBERIA?

When I saw this, my first thought was, it must be a hoax.

We have the G-Body of the Month contest. How about a Location of the Month? Don't bother. You win, hands down.

Do you have smog inspections there? Sorry, I'm in California, had to bring it up.
No. There is no smog inspections now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor