Greetings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotuserp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2020
New Jersey
Hey everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself (Rob) and say thanks for adding me to the forum.

I currently have a 1980 Malibu (originally a Classic w/4.4L V8) that I've s-l-o-w-l-y rebuilt and upgraded over the years. Currently it has a 350 SBC (bored .60 over) which I took out of donor 1986 G30 van (4-bolt main and one piece rear main seal). I had it professionally rebuilt (short block) and I actually do not know the cam profile but it's a slighly lumpy idle and pulls real nice with a Holley 4160 and Edelbrock Performer intake and Hooker Super Comps to Summit Racing dual exhausts (I believe 2 1/2 inch pipes).

I've had the typical G-Body blues over the years (e.g. rotted rear frame rails) and have added some suspension upgrades (poly body bushings, boxed rear control arms, F41 bracing up front) and recently swapping out my TH350 for a rebuilt 700R4. I added the Goodmark 2" cowl to be both functional and accomodate the AC compressor as I switched to a serpentine setup I got on fleabay from a Chevy 1500 series (learned the hard way about reverse flow water pumps and all that fun stuff). CS130amp alternator is the shizzle!

I beefed up the 7.5" 10 bolt rear with a 7.625 F-body Torsen pumpkin and upgraded the axles to new 28 spline. I don't track it or pounce (alot . . .) on the pedals so this amount of beefing up works real well for me. My next project is to pull the axles, replace the rear brake backing plates and wheel cylinders, and swap out current 2.73 Torsen pumpklin with a 3.23 Torsen I tried to use with the three-speed transmission (not a good weekend. . .) .

The doors are still original but alas will need to replaced in the next few years. It's painted GM Medium Stellar Blue (1993) and I get many compliments as she's real clean inside and out.

Attachments

• IMG_2358.JPG
    IMG_2358.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 241
  • 100_0007.JPG
    100_0007.JPG
    586.5 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_3889.JPG
    IMG_3889.JPG
    520 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_3819.JPG
    IMG_3819.JPG
    892.2 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2388.JPG
    IMG_2388.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Welcome to GBF, rotuserp, from Seattle, Wa. Beautiful, It makes me feel a little bit jealous, but at the same time excited about what my '78 can look like.
'78 Caballero and '79 El Camino.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard Rob.
It looks like a nice clean well loved Malibu. Cool color blue, too. Thanks for sharing the pics.
What's the interior look like? My car also started out as a Jersey car.

Reactions: 1 user

rotuserp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2020
New Jersey
Welcome Rob!

Bu looks real clean. I like that you painted the engine blue.

Where in NJ are you? I'm in East Brunswick

Thanks. I'm in Nutley so we are definitely not too far from one another. I have been fadiddling (I think it's a word?) with my Blue Bu' for 20 years and have quite a bit of extra stuff (especially the odd bracket or bolt configuration if you're trying to attain OEM status) , so please don't hesistate to reach out to ask if I have something.

Rob

Last edited:

rotuserp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2020
New Jersey
Welcome aboard Rob.
It looks like a nice clean well loved Malibu. Cool color blue, too. Thanks for sharing the pics.
What's the interior look like? My car also started out as a Jersey car.

Thanks.

The interior may be the best kept part of this "survivor". I kept the straight bench seat (and only the driver seat vertical pleather had to be replaced). I had the entire front bench refoamed and that one piece was replaced, and the upholstery shop did a great matching job (got the stitching perfect). I bought a donor 1980 4-door years back specifically for the stereo dash (mine was originally an AM only car) and gauge cluster. The donor gauge cluster facia had the cheesy woodgrain contact-paper finish and I cleaned it up and sprayed it up black with hand applied silver piping (I'll take pics and post). Replaced the headliner, carpet and all pillars.

The upholstery shop clad my rear deck panel in the same pleather as the seats, and 20 years later it still looks awesome! I have an older Pioneer III with 3 1/2'' coaxials up front and nice triaxial 6x9's in the rear, using the OEM understated grilles.

So it's a "mutt" in terms of stock and kinda-custom. I drive it and wanted some modern convenience (e.g.: installed a recessed USB two-port outlet under the dash which needless to say, is very convenient to have.)

rotuserp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2020
New Jersey
Welcome to GBF, rotuserp, from Seattle, Wa. Beautiful, It makes me feel a little bit jealous, but at the same time excited about what my '78 can look like.
'78 Caballero and '79 El Camino.

Thanks.

Like many folks I wish I had taken BEFORE pictures. It was (of course) a little old lady's car for many years, but then a cousin of my former spouse had it as his first car and . . . let's just say his family nickname as a 'yoot was "Monster". The front springs were shot (one was broken), and due to shennanigans, had a cracked windshield and a pretty bad concave in the roof from what I was told was the result of a game of "manhunt". Headliner was shot; carpeting was gross (kid LIVED at McDonalds), but the body was solid and only just starting to show some rust when I got it (for free!). So it's been a long haul, but luckily GM made man of these chassis' and as a Chevy G-Body, I found replacement parts easier to come by than my 79 Buick Regal.

Last edited:

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Thanks.

Like many folks I wish I had taken BEFORE pictures. It was (of course) a little old lady's car for many years, but then a cousin of my former spouse had it as his first car and . . . let's just say his family nickname as a 'yoot was "Monster". The front springs were shot (one was broken), and due to shennanigans, had a cracked windshield and a pretty bad concave in the roof from what I was told was the result of a game of "manhunt". Headliner was shot; carpeting was gross (kid LIVED at McDonalds), but the body was solid and only just starting to show some rust when I got it (for free!). So it's been a long haul, but luckily GM made man of these chassis' and as a Chevy G-Body, I found replacement parts easier to come by than my 79 Buick Regal.
Great that you know a lot of it's history.
Mine also came to me through a family connection, it was my FIL's until he gave it to the wife and I in late 2001. It has been a driver for it's whole existence. Until late 2017, my main concern was to maintain it as a commuter. As it was nearly worn out, I decided to begin bringing it back to better than stock condition. A little here, a little there, it's coming along.

rotuserp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2020
New Jersey
Thanks.

The interior may be the best kept part of this "survivor". I kept the straight bench seat (and only the driver seat vertical pleather had to be replaced). I had the entire front bench refoamed and that one piece was replaced, and the upholstery shop did a great matching job (got the stitching perfect). I bought a donor 1980 4-door years back specifically for the stereo dash (mine was originally an AM only car) and gauge cluster. The donor gauge cluster facia had the cheesy woodgrain contact-paper finish and I cleaned it up and sprayed it up black with hand applied silver piping (I'll take pics and post). Replaced the headliner, carpet and all pillars.

The upholstery shop clad my rear deck panel in the same pleather as the seats, and 20 years later it still looks awesome! I have an older Pioneer III with 3 1/2'' coaxials up front and nice triaxial 6x9's in the rear, using the OEM understated grilles.

So it's a "mutt" in terms of stock and kinda-custom. I drive it and wanted some modern convenience (e.g.: installed a recessed USB two-port outlet under the dash which needless to say, is very convenient to have.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 259

rotuserp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2020
New Jersey
I took the donor’s dash, round gauge cluster (waited many years to snag the period-correct 115 MPH round speedo), steering wheel, and tilt column though I still haven’t installed the latter as the current bench seat arrangement has the non-tilt at the perfect spot. Dash cap and black and blue dash bits primed and painted by me - and I am waaay to impatient to be really good spray painter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor