Ground Strap 82 Bonneville

Status
Not open for further replies.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Well I pulled the V6 (3.8) and th350 out of the Bonneville last weekend. Everything went well except I missed a heavy ground strap and pulled the end off it. It was on the driver side lower transmission bolt and goes between the frame and the body. I've never run across a heavy(battery size) ground strap there before. I haven't had a chance to see where it goes. Anybody seen this and know where it goes? timo22

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Sounds like the body ground and you need it. the ground is the return path. Easy fix

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I figured it was a body or frame ground but I’ve worked on lots of gbodys over the years and have never seen a ground strap like this mounted on the transmission bellhousing. It looks like it goes between the frame and body behind the brake combination valve. I’m not sure if it just attaches to the frame or goes inside the car. I’ll track it this weekend. I was just curious if anyone else has run across this..timo22

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
My Regal does not have the same engine area ground that you mention.

My Regal has the following engine area grounds:
-Between passenger head and body (firewall)
-Battery to engine block
-Battery to body (near top of fender)

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Yeah, my Bonneville has those three grounds also. I’m hoping someone has seen this. Thank you for your response..timo22

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sounds like it was an addition by a previous owner. GM did a very poor job on the grounds with theses cars and the only decent ground wire was the battery cable to the engine. There is a ground strap at the back of the engine to the firewall but it was not the size of a battery cable. You'll see the size of the strap in this picture circled in red. It'll give you the general idea where it is installed on the firewall

Firewall_After.jpg

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Tim, my car has that same battery cable ground. It attaches to the firewall, behind the driver's side inner fender, down low near the body mount. Let me do some looking and see if I can find a picture.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Correction, it mounts to the body mount. This picture is from the perspective of looking in the driver's front wheel well looking rearward. That's the emergency brake cable on the right. Hope this helps.....
20170311_172100-1612x1209.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the ground strap in my GP was attached same as what is in the picture. I don't recall ever seeing a covered wire, I have always seen a braided bare strap.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
the ground strap in my GP was attached same as what is in the picture. I don't recall ever seeing a covered wire, I have always seen a braided bare strap.
Don't forget Steve, my car was a diesel.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor