Ground strap

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Hi. My 1978 lemans has a ground from battery neg to block. When i turn lights on..the pass side front marker lights go out and right turn signal light on dash goes on. Sometimes pass headlight flickers. It is grounded from the firewall to block but wondering if i need the thicker ground band.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Check the grounds on the rad support & the negative cable to fender ground. Can never hurt to add extra ground points.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Check the grounds on the rad support & the negative cable to fender ground. Can never hurt to add extra ground points.
Ok cool..i know theres no ground on rad support. I do have 2 little bolts under the cylinder head but affraid to take out and use strap to frame. Lol. Dont kniw if those bolts are for an add accessories or what.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Heres what i got.

Attachments

• 20210913_084501.jpg
    20210913_084501.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 138
  • 20210913_083832.jpg
    20210913_083832.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 142

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Hi. My 1978 lemans has a ground from battery neg to block. When i turn lights on..the pass side front marker lights go out and right turn signal light on dash goes on. Sometimes pass headlight flickers. It is grounded from the firewall to block but wondering if i need the thicker ground band.
You should have 3 grounds, not including the straps to the firewall.

1. One from battery to alternator mounts.
2. One from the body to the battery.
3. One to from the engine block to frame.

That should be all you need. Any more issues, would be grounds coming from the lights themselves. Your main ones, should be like the 3 above.

My Caprice I didn’t ground directly to the frame yet, but it seems to be fine otherwise.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021

That should be all you need. Any more issues, would be grounds coming from the lights themselves. Your main ones, should be like the 3 above.

My Caprice I didn’t ground directly to the frame yet, but it seems to be fine otherwise.
Ok im gonna scope it out in morn. Thanks i appreciate it. Wish me luck. Lol

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Ok im gonna scope it out in morn. Thanks i appreciate it. Wish me luck. Lol
No worries, let me know how it all turned out.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
start here.
your side marker light is back feeding and grounding out through the turn signal circuit because of a poor or missing ground.
THIS IS NOT A BATTERY GROUND ISSUE.
you should have ground wires coming out of the head light harness and bolted to the radiator support. left side and right side. 10mm bolts. check around, may be on front side or top under side of the support. start at the headlights and follow the black wires coming from the headlights. you should also have a smaller ground wire from the neg battery post to the inner fender area.

i can take pics of my 79 elco tomorrow if needed.

neg battery cables were mounted in different places depending on the engine. chevys are at the alternator top mount bracket. olds are to a studded head bolt behind the alternator. not sure on buicks or pontiacs.

inner fender to neg battery cable. if the neg cable has been replaced, it may have a smaller wire coming off of it with a butt connector on it that should go to the inner fender. if not, add one.

back of engine block or back of head to firewall. if not, add one, two if you like. you can make this or buy the fancy braided ones from the parts store.

gm didn't ground the engine block to frame on these cars. i'm not saying its a bad idea or not needed, but i don't want you looking for something that never was.

Reactions: 2 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
neg battery cables were mounted in different places depending on the engine. chevys are at the alternator top mount bracket. olds are to a studded head bolt behind the alternator. not sure on buicks or pontiacs.

inner fender to neg battery cable. if the neg cable has been replaced, it may have a smaller wire coming off of it with a butt connector on it that should go to the inner fender. if not, add one.

back of engine block or back of head to firewall. if not, add one, two if you like. you can make this or buy the fancy braided ones from the parts store.

gm didn't ground the engine block to frame on these cars. i'm not saying its a bad idea or not needed, but i don't want you looking for something that never was.
Agreed to all of that and correct they didn’t have any grounds to the frame, but it never hurts either like stated haha.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I had grounds everywhere on the race car. Battery was grounded to the frame, engine was grounded to frame, body was grounded to the engine, both heads were grounded to the block.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor