GTR door handle swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

G Cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2022
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and gbody community, I’m currently working on a 1987 Oldsmobile 442. Trying to make the car look and feel a little bit more modern, I recently swapped out the stock door handles for ones from a Nissan GTR (link below). Very similar to the ones kindig sells but wayyy cheaper.

Do you like? What should I do next?

Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I R & R my doors by myself using a floor jack, a 2 x 4 with a towel wrapped around to keep it from slipping.

20170529_144453_resized_1.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
Nice job on the door handle. It looks like it belongs there. As if factory would have done it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Any chance you want to do an actual write up with pics, here, so the info is on this site and added to our searchable knowledge base instead of just trying to advertise and make people go elsewhere to watch a video that takes way more time and just leeches off the community here?

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

G Cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2022
Any chance you want to do an actual write up with pics, here, so the info is on this site and added to our searchable knowledge base instead of just trying to advertise and make people go elsewhere to watch a video that takes way more time and just leeches off the community here?
Totally get you, I’ll include photos and description in next post. I’m just more of a visual learner and prefer video to text.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and gbody community, I’m currently working on a 1987 Oldsmobile 442. Trying to make the car look and feel a little bit more modern, I recently swapped out the stock door handles for ones from a Nissan GTR (link below). Very similar to the ones kindig sells but wayyy cheaper.

Do you like? What should I do next?

Welcome! I love those 87 442s.

As noted, there's a lot of info missing on the "how to" part of it in the video if someone wanted to emulate your efforts. You certainly are committed to it and you have absolutely NO idea how much it pained me to see you cut into that pristine door like that. I'm a big fan of rock-stock purist when it comes to my own cars, and for me, that video does not apply. I'm really glad you're enjoying the car, though, however you wish to enjoy it.

Maybe do vid cap pics on some of the stuff so you can have video AND pics/text for searchability? Just a suggestion. I know it's a PITA to do it either way, but it's just one idea.

Modifications to your car are yours, and you own them whether they come out great or they suck. From my perspective, you did a good job of replacing and installing the door handle with one you feel works and looks the best. I'm still not sure how I like it yet. I like your idea, but the handle itself is rounded on the ends, where hardly anything on a G-body is rounded. :) That's why the stock rectangle lift handles seem right at home on a square-ish G-body. I view them as a refrigerator box that wants to be aerodynamic.

As far as suggestions as what to do next, that's a loaded question. What is your long-term goal with the car? Drivetrain? Stock-ish or are you going to toss in an LS swap? Lowering suspension or leaving it alone? Tubbing? Racing? A zillion ways to answer the question. That's what I would do, set a goal for you and the car. What is your dream 87 442? Answer that and go from there.

Regardless of which way you go, you said it was a NY car. Rust in the door's bottoms are the least of your worries as you have a T-top. As everyone with a T-top G-body knows, there's a good chance that there is some rust on the sub-structure up under the weatherstripping and top plates. So THAT is where I would go next. Because if there's a substantial amount of rust, you're in for a challenge. If not, you're golden and dodged a huge bullet. Or, I should say, cannonball. You said you already replaced the floor pans, right? And the reason they were crusted out? Could be the road salt spray, true, but T-top leaks also were a huge issue as well. Pull the A-pillar inside trim. Easy peasy to do, just a few screws and inspect well behind there and see what you got as a precursor to pulling the rest of the trim. I've seen where water actually travels down the A-pillars on the inside and rusts out from in there and even caused windshield leaks that were hidden by the trim. Potentially a horrible mess underneath while looking perfectly normal from the outside. Don't want to scare you, but be ready. And check those rear frame rails right behind the rear axle. That's another area of concern on these cars, especially if they lived in the north.

Reactions: 3 users

G Cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2022
Welcome! I love those 87 442s.

As noted, there's a lot of info missing on the "how to" part of it in the video if someone wanted to emulate your efforts. You certainly are committed to it and you have absolutely NO idea how much it pained me to see you cut into that pristine door like that. I'm a big fan of rock-stock purist when it comes to my own cars, and for me, that video does not apply. I'm really glad you're enjoying the car, though, however you wish to enjoy it.

Maybe do vid cap pics on some of the stuff so you can have video AND pics/text for searchability? Just a suggestion. I know it's a PITA to do it either way, but it's just one idea.

Modifications to your car are yours, and you own them whether they come out great or they suck. From my perspective, you did a good job of replacing and installing the door handle with one you feel works and looks the best. I'm still not sure how I like it yet. I like your idea, but the handle itself is rounded on the ends, where hardly anything on a G-body is rounded. :) That's why the stock rectangle lift handles seem right at home on a square-ish G-body. I view them as a refrigerator box that wants to be aerodynamic.

As far as suggestions as what to do next, that's a loaded question. What is your long-term goal with the car? Drivetrain? Stock-ish or are you going to toss in an LS swap? Lowering suspension or leaving it alone? Tubbing? Racing? A zillion ways to answer the question. That's what I would do, set a goal for you and the car. What is your dream 87 442? Answer that and go from there.

Regardless of which way you go, you said it was a NY car. Rust in the door's bottoms are the least of your worries as you have a T-top. As everyone with a T-top G-body knows, there's a good chance that there is some rust on the sub-structure up under the weatherstripping and top plates. So THAT is where I would go next. Because if there's a substantial amount of rust, you're in for a challenge. If not, you're golden and dodged a huge bullet. Or, I should say, cannonball. You said you already replaced the floor pans, right? And the reason they were crusted out? Could be the road salt spray, true, but T-top leaks also were a huge issue as well. Pull the A-pillar inside trim. Easy peasy to do, just a few screws and inspect well behind there and see what you got as a precursor to pulling the rest of the trim. I've seen where water actually travels down the A-pillars on the inside and rusts out from in there and even caused windshield leaks that were hidden by the trim. Potentially a horrible mess underneath while looking perfectly normal from the outside. Don't want to scare you, but be ready. And check those rear frame rails right behind the rear axle. That's another area of concern on these cars, especially if they lived in the north.
69hurstolds trust me it was tough to cut those doors too 🥲.

Definitely still lots of rust repair, I think that’s going to be my next big project. Taking off the a pillars and there is a rust hole on both passenger and drivers side. I haven’t pulled the weather stripping and trim off the top so I’m not too sure how it is above. Rear quarters also have some rust spots but I do have stamped patches from goodmark. I replace the body mounts and definitely the car needs some frame repair where the old pucks were.

As far as drivetrain it has the original 307 and 200r4 however the 307 is very unhealthy, I have a lead on a Chevy 383 and Oldsmobile 455. I want to keep the drivetrain Oldsmobile but the cost of Chevy engine parts are wayyy cheaper 😬. I also have a Muncie M20 and threepedal clutch pedal to go in.

I have corvette front brakes and Camaro rear brakes that need to go in.

I also have some other body mods planned, I did make a front spoiler (photos attached) and have plans to make panels to delete the stock reverse lights lens. Also planning on painting the front fender liner matador red!

Attachments

• 76BD3735-C108-4C6D-8CA3-1B3870669885.jpeg
    76BD3735-C108-4C6D-8CA3-1B3870669885.jpeg
    779.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 57B9BC49-7D12-4C5F-BB04-4C6E4CC75051.jpeg
    57B9BC49-7D12-4C5F-BB04-4C6E4CC75051.jpeg
    839.3 KB · Views: 88
  • D0A6D1B8-F589-408D-ABAE-0EFF1DD05609.jpeg
    D0A6D1B8-F589-408D-ABAE-0EFF1DD05609.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
  • 1B4EA964-6D45-4551-A802-6CCD1614908A.jpeg
    1B4EA964-6D45-4551-A802-6CCD1614908A.jpeg
    618.9 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
That's hot rodding. Some may like it some may not. I'm not a purist unless it's an original rare car.
I like it on your car. Moreso if it was squared up a little.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor