Guess My Build Thread Got Closed LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I know its been a while but jeez... LOL

Now that my wagons pretty much close to being done it was time to start on the 81 again. Gotta fix that stupid oil leak.

Unfortunately I have to have some minor surgery to have a few kidney stones taken out of my right kidney next month. Due to the size (the biggest is close to an inch in diameter and the smaller one is over 1/2") the surgeon says theyre too large to have a lithotripsy. He says the big one is so dense they might not be able to break it up into small enough pieces to pass. Kinda sucks but there arent too many options. The surgeon did a little over 300 of these procedures last year alone so I guess hes the guy to do it. Hes poking a hole in my back and going into the kidney to get them out. He says its usually an overnight stay but someone I know that had the same procedure was in the hospital for 4 days. Not sure about the recovery time but Im thinking I wont be crawling around under my car for a few weeks.
So we pulled the motor the other night and tonight all the stuff came off. New cover. Just need to pick up gaskets. I want this back in by the beginning of next week.
Im sure you guys can tell, Im not into doing this gasket with the motor in the car. I used an Xacto knife with a square blade to clean the old gaskets off. I didnt want to screw up the paint. I think I got it pretty clean. LOL

IMG_0521 (002).jpg

Reactions: 4 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Sorry to hear of your surgery. About 17 years ago my dad had his blasted by sitting in a tub. I wonder if they do that anymore? He originally had surgery, but they couldn’t get his out.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
My mom literally just had the same thing done 2 weeks ago... she's 79, going to be 80 in July. Stayed two days in the hospital afterwards, but she also had some other issues that she was actually brought in for before they found the stones.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Sorry to hear of your surgery. About 17 years ago my dad had his blasted by sitting in a tub. I wonder if they do that anymore? He originally had surgery, but they couldn’t get his out.
I had one blasted a few years ago. Not in a tub though. All I remember is being on a table with something against my back by my kidney. Then they put me out. Ive had stones 6 times already.The last CT in November showed 4 really small ones in my left kidney and two small ones in my right beside the two really big ones. My oncologist told me I should do something with the big ones before they become an issue so the next appointment was with a urologist. Then came the surgeon. This happened over the past three weeks. I just want to get most of the car stuff done before I go in.

Reactions: 1 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I had one blasted a few years ago. Not in a tub though. All I remember is being on a table with something against my back by my kidney. Then they put me out. Ive had stones 6 times already.The last CT in November showed 4 really small ones in my left kidney and two small ones in my right beside the two really big ones. My oncologist told me I should do something with the big ones before they become an issue so the next appointment was with a urologist. Then came the surgeon. This happened over the past three weeks. I just want to get most of the car stuff done before I go in.
Well, best wishes moving forward. With the car, and your health.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Sorry to read about the stones. Never had any but I had 2 close co-workers deal w/them. Never new the pain level experienced :oops:.

So.... Did you ID where your leak originated upon disassembly?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I knew where it was leaking as soon as we fired it up for the first time. Worst thing it was my fault. Before the motor was built I used Variprime on all the parts followed by a coat of acrylic enamel. Take a look at the picture. I didnt tape off the dowels. Put the cover on and when I tightened the bolts the excess paint on the dowels tweaked the cover. You can see the gasket fatter to the right of the dowel. Believe it or not it was leaking like an old faucet. I had a decent sized puddle in less than 10 minutes.
I didnt want to pull everything apart with the motor in the car. If it still leaked I'd be pissed. So, out it came.
The worst thing ?? I did the EXACT same thing on the motor in the wagon. I didnt like the chrome one that came on it so I bought a painted one from Proform. Painted the motor while the cover and pan were off. Tweaked that cover too.
The good things ? You can be sure it will never happen again and Im getting these motors out and back in pretty fast. I think I can do it with my eyes closed. LOL

IMG_0024.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Our prayers are with you at our house. I've had kidney stones before but was able to pass them. I didn't know what was going on. But I did know doubled over in pain and not wanting to move was not good. After several hours in the ER and a shot or two of morphine and whatever they did to break up the stones, I was fine.

Side Note:
If you need any instruction on the timing chain cover replacement, there is about a 5,000+ page thread on that.
I'll bring the popcorn.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Our prayers are with you at our house. I've had kidney stones before but was able to pass them. I didn't know what was going on. But I did know doubled over in pain and not wanting to move was not good. After several hours in the ER and a shot or two of morphine and whatever they did to break up the stones, I was fine.

Side Note:
If you need any instruction on the timing chain cover replacement, there is about a 5,000+ page thread on that.
I'll bring the popcorn

When I had the lithotripsy I had it done in a local hospital. The stone was found with a CT in an ER 5 days before. The ER doc (who I knew due to my wife being an ER nurse) got me into a urologists office the next day. That guy did the procedures but was booked for two weeks. I was sweating. His partner was able to do it at the end of that week. My wife took me to the hospital that morning. Walked in, nurse at the counter told me she would sign me in and the next thing I knew I was on a gurney in the back getting an IV. Turns out I passed out while I was on line. Needless to say, the pain meds were great ! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor