Guy has a 350 Olds and Turbo 350 trans for sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIKD CUT

Apprentice
May 28, 2010
A guy near me has a 350 Olds and Turbo 350 trans for sale and says that $400 will take it all. Sounded like a great deal to me but was wondering what your opinions were. Motor hasn't ran in probably 10 years so it will need a freshening. A good buddy of mine helped build the motor and said that it has all quality parts in it. He said that it has 10.1 pistons in it and they should still be good and it also has a mild cam. He thinks that it is a early to mid 70's block.

Is this a great deal??? How much hp/tq do you estimate this engine has??? (owner never dyno'd it). How much do you think it will cost to rebuild it and POSSIBLY throw some aftermarket heads on for more hp??? How much hp could I squeeze out of this motor for a couple grand???

On a side note, if I throw this motor into my 87 Cutlass, I will need a posi rear end with some stouter gears. What rear ends are you guys running on your cars. T-type? GN? Monte SS? Something else?

Any info that you can share with me is greatly appreciate. I have wanted to swap out the ole 307 for some time now and this deal just seemed tp good to pass up. Thanks.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Sounds like a good deal...

How many miles were put on it since being built?
Where was it stored for the past 10 or so years?

I'd at least pull it apart so you can inspect/replace the bearings and throw some fresh gaskets on it and a coat of paint.

On the street, the 7.5 in your Cutlass should hold up fine.
With the TH350 trans, a 3.08 would probably be best.
Olds motors have plenty of torque to get you going, so a steep rear gear ratio really isn't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor