H pipe on an Olds 260 with dual exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Since I added the 2004R to this beast it is less than desirable in the hills, constantly kicking down, sounds like death is coming soon at 4000 rpm. I could pull through the hills with 2.78 gears without much effort with the 3spd. Would an H pipe help enough at peak torque, which is super low, to be worth the effort? I added the Ignitor 3 module and will add the Accel Supercoil along with an inch taller tire, which won't help the issue. Dyno tests seem to prove torque gains in my rpm range but how much will be gained on a 120hp and 220 ft/lbs motor, any noticeable amount? If I can gain 5 ft/lbs, it is still something. Maybe I answered my own question.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I highly doubt you will notice any difference with the H pipe. On the dyno yes but not in the seat or on the road. I would be swapping the rear gears for a 3.42-3.73 gear set for starters.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
When I added the h pipe to my car, I noticed no seat of the pants difference in power/torque. I mainly did it for the sound change. I had the car on the dyno with and without an h pipe, and the difference was marginal.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If I read your sig line right, it's a 200r4 with 3.42's?
Have you considered building a set of 180* headers?

Seriously, I don't know if it would help or not. Maybe try the X off the 70S?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
If I'm understanding you right... You replaced a 350 transmission with a 2004r and now it's lost it's pep and is forced to downshift to get you up hills where as before it didn't need to?

If this is what you're saying then I have to say it's all in the calibration of your 2004r. The 2004r has better gearing than the th350 so it should allow you to pull through the hills ( and straight aways... ) with MORE gusto not less.

Trying to add more engine power is just a bandaid for the real issue and would probably not help much anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, 3.42 gears already in there. I never drove it in the G body much on the highway with the TH350. Maybe the 70S weighs a few hundred pounds less but also has crappier gearing. I agree on the 2004R calibration, it is stock and sucks. This trans was a stock rebuild at one point and shifts fine. I never realized how much of a difference the Transgo shift kit made, always ran them. It shifts into OD early and locks up as well by 50 mph with the TV cable getting full pull. I did have shorty headers and 2.5" dual exhaust with a compact X pipe on the car. It did help but on a car with a 260, it was a waste and suited the 70S much better. It currently has the extra port capped on 260 manifolds with 2" OD dual exhaust with angled 70 style glass packs into 2.5" tail pipes. Doing any reasonable mods to help power without hurting MPG.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
If you're terrain is hilly, installing a switch to turn off converter lockup when driving in those conditions would probably work well. Also, not putting it in OD in hilly terrain.

Last edited:
  • Agree

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
A Qjet would help with power despite what all the bench racers will tell you. It ain't gonna turn a 260 into a rocket but you already know that...

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I agree on the Qjet, it would help some. I am kind of kicking myself for selling my SP2P intake. I almost considered putting on my Performer intake and putting the primary rods from the Dualjet into a 800 Qjet I have in pieces. I would have limit the air door and run possibly leaner secondary rods. Just a lot of work for a slight gain.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor