Had a Discussion With My Friend - Topic: 1970 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Quick question;
What is the difference between a 1970 Malibu and a 1970 Chevelle?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
IIRC they were all Chevelles and the Malibu was a trim line ( kinda like they are all C10 trucks but you could get a C10 or a Silverado ). Or was it the other way round ????

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
"In 1970, sheetmetal revisions gave the bodies a more squared-up stance following the coke bottle styling, and interiors were also redesigned. The 1970 Chevelle shared many sheet metal body parts with the 1970 Buick Skylark GSX, both are GM automobiles and have interchangeable sheet metal. They are also the only two muscle cars to share the same roofline. The 1970 Chevelle came in Sport Coupe, Sport Sedan, convertible, four-door sedan, a couple of wagons, and coupé utility (the El Camino) body styles. Only three of these (Malibu sport coupe, Malibu convertible and El Camino pickup) were available with a choice of one of 2 SS options; RPO Z25 with the SS 396 (402 cid) engine and RPO Z15 with the new 454 cid engine. The base model was now simply called Chevelle in lieu of the former base 300 Deluxe, and was only available as a Sport Coupe or four-door sedan. In Canada, the base series retained its 300 Deluxe name, with appropriate badging on each front fender just behind the front wheel well. The 300 Deluxe 2-door sedan was cancelled and replaced by the base Chevelle Sport Coupe, a 2 door pillarless hardtop. "

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
IIRC they were all Chevelles and the Malibu was a trim line ( kinda like they are all C10 trucks but you could get a C10 or a Silverado ). Or was it the other way round ????

This is how it worked. Chevelle was the body style, Malibu, SS, etc were trim packages available for the Chevelle. My race car was a 70 Malibu with the 307 and t-350 when it left the factory. However, it did still say Chevelle on the grill and the trunk lid. My "new" 70 is an SS 396 car with the Z25 code stamped on the trim tag. The same 2 Chevelle words are on the trunk and grill, but anywhere else where it would say Malibu, has the SS on it.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Thanks for clearing this up. My friend was given a set of NOS front brake pads and was told they were Malibu specific. I guess with the popularity of the Chevelle SS, the Malibu version disappeared from our vocabulary.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Best way to sum it up is to compair to current trim level marketing, Chevelle=Impala LS, Malibu=Impala LT. They both are Chevelles. just someone payed more for upgraded trim & fabric. Look at the full size Chevy's of that year Biscane (basic), BelAir (LS), Impala (LT), Caprice (LTZ). The norm was to give a different name for the trim level. Basicly in '70 a Chevelle is a Chevelle, a Malibu is a Chevelle, & (if I dare to sound like I made this up) A Monte Carlo is a Chevelle (replaced the Concours as top model Chevelle trim level.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor