Had a G Body in the Family and didn't even know it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Was over at a relative's house today and had a minute to look through an old family photo album. In one of the pictures, I noticed a G Body wagon sitting in the background so I asked my dad whose car it was. He said it belonged to his dad, my grandfather. It was the last car he had before he passed away. My dad didn't remember what engine it had or anything, but he said it was an automatic. I wasn't able to immediately identify the year or model but I knew it was a G Body and I knew it was a Pontiac. So after a quick Google search I believe it was a Pontiac Grand LeMans Safari Wagon, and I believe it was a 1981. Picture was a little blurry but it was nearly identical to this car-

1981-Pontiac-Safari-range~2.jpg

I know for sure it had the same header panel, and it had wood grain on the sides. The color looked to be almost the same cream white. My dad told me that he got the car when his dad died and he drove it for about a year and then traded it in on a new FWD Regal GS.

Quoth my dad- "That (wagon) was an ugly car". My opinion differs :mrgreen:

Reactions: 3 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
According to that ad, it had a standard V-8. Wish mine did, but TBH, even most of the factory V-8s of the day were dogs, so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
According to that ad, it had a standard V-8. Wish mine did, but TBH, even most of the factory V-8s of the day were dogs, so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

Yeah you weren't missing out on a whole lot by not having one of those V8s. I guess it would've been a 305 or 301? I can say with a fair amount of certainty that it wouldn't have had the diesel option. That's something my dad wouldn't forget.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
"Standard" may be referring to the Bbody in the back.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
It seems like the entire add only talked about the B body. It looks like the G body didn't have tinted windows, or not very much of a tint. No wander the interiors faded so badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor