Had rear end rebuilt, now it's exposed transmission problems: Resolved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So in the interest of saving 1200-1400 bucks, I had my 10 bolt rear end rebuilt(thanks to all who chipped in opinions).

IMG_8837.jpg

(No that's not me pictured)

Did new upper and lower control arms, bushings, sway bar, diff cover, Posi, 3:73 gears.

The Posi is clearly a sweet upgrade, but I'm now encountering two problems.

1) Car shifts way soon. From the reading I did I kind of expected this, at least from first gear, but 2-3 comes right after 1-2. 1-2 is occurring around 9mph. Part throttle blows.

2) When you stomp on it, it's not holding the gears very long and still shifting early. At WOT it's shifting at 3,500 rpm, maybe lower.

So at the moment I'm encountering the worst of both worlds. I knew my setup was never 100% in the first place, but very good and comfortable riding before. The car always hated part(minimal) throttle and the transmission shifted much better with the pedal pushed down a bit more. I think I just got used to driving it how it 'wanted' to be driven and the previous 2.41 gears allowed me the room to baby it as such. But now with the 3.73's the problem

I think it's obvious my throttle bracket geometry is off. Also a major flaw in my set is the car was a 4.3 v6 car now converted to a 5.7, but still with TBI. So my TBI unit sits 1.75 to 2 inches further away from the firewall than when it was on the v6, so from my reading I don't believe the stock TV cable would have worked anyways.

So I'm looking at getting the TV-Made-EZ kit from bowtie overdrives, or possibly the Trans Go 200R4 shift kit, strictly for the various plunger springs. My understanding is these can be changed for desired results. I would just grab the EZ kit, but it strictly requires I use their spring installed, which has me thinking twice.

Community, thoughts?

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
You can adjust the throttle valve cable you have. Put a brick on the gas pedal(car off of course lol) press the button on the cable housing and pull the housing back as far as it will go with throttle blade completely open and release button

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You can adjust the throttle valve cable you have. Put a brick on the gas pedal(car off of course lol) press the button on the cable housing and pull the housing back as far as it will go with throttle blade completely open and release button

I might try that. If I drive 30 yards and it seems like a problem, I can pull over and reset it or limp it back to the driveway.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Monte SS govenor

Truck TBI cables

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Is this the transmission built by Competition Transmission in Tonawanda? Did you contact Carl and see what he comes up with, I've had 3 turbo 350's and a 2004R rebuilt by them and any questions about shift quality or timing Carl was able to recommend a fix on the issue.
I had a late hard shifting issue with the 2004R in my 86 El Camino that turned out to be a TV cable adjustment. Would bark the tires at the 1-2, 2-3, and at 1/2 throttle 3-4 shift. After the recommended adjustment it would only bark the tires on the 1-2 shift at 3/4 throttle.

Hope this helps!
Bob S.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Is this the transmission built by Competition Transmission in Tonawanda? Did you contact Carl and see what he comes up with, I've had 3 turbo 350's and a 2004R rebuilt by them and any questions about shift quality or timing Carl was able to recommend a fix on the issue.
I had a late hard shifting issue with the 2004R in my 86 El Camino that turned out to be a TV cable adjustment. Would bark the tires at the 1-2, 2-3, and at 1/2 throttle 3-4 shift. After the recommended adjustment it would only bark the tires on the 1-2 shift at 3/4 throttle.

Hope this helps!
Bob S.

Yeah. I did contact him about a year and a half after it was built and he didn't seem real interested in helping. Much of my problem is I have a vortec head motor with the 200r4 which the two never came together. So getting a mounting backer for the throttle/tv was next to impossible. I have the tv made EX kit on the way to see if that helps.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Are you running a Q-jet? If so, couldn't you use the Olds 307 throttle cable bracket that fastens to the two rear carb mounting bolts instead of the manifold? What manifold are you running? This won't work with the Edelbrock Performer Vortec manifold......

Attachments

• downloadfile-2.jpg
    downloadfile-2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 213

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
There's a caprice wagon with a 2004r and SBC at my yard. I could check it for brackets next time I'm there

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
downloadfile-3.jpg
If you are running a Q-jet and an Edelbrock Performer Vortec manifold, source a throttle cable bracket from a square body GM truck. It will clear the vacuum fitting in the Edelbrock intake....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor