HAFRODs 78 Aeroback Salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I guess its time to get back on the Salon. I bought it in 08 for $500. Tore it apart, rebuilt both sides hinges with new pins and bushings, did the bodywork and painted it single stage black. I traded it to a friend for a 57 Chevy and about a year ago, got it back for $300. It took 3 trips for all the parts. It has been under plastic and the wind blown plastic has removed the paint in edges. Its gotten a few scratches from sitting and being moved from house to house. The first pic is unloaded the day I bought it. The next pics are how it is now after being uncovered. I'm going to paint it black again with the gold lower stripe and 442 decals. It was originally a standard shift 4 speed car. I'm making it auto with a 2004R, 350 engine, stock steel ralley wheels painted gold, and Cutlass rear sway bar and Monte SS Front sway bar. I'm wanting it mostly stock looking but it will have some street rod inspired subtle touches. I already smoothed the firewall but will have to rework it again in a few areas.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I have a sick fascination with (appreciation for) the Salons so I'll be watching this one for sure.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
DRIVEN said:
I have a sick fascination with (appreciation for) the Salons so I'll be watching this one for sure.

I second that motion...I always had a thing for that body style...or anything unusual for that matter. I will keep tuned in as well.
Sounds like a cool plan for your build. Keep us updated. :wink:

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
If you are going to make the car just for the street, leave the 4 speed. Lots of fun... 8)

Attachments

• IMG_6015.JPG
    IMG_6015.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 2,562

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
The shifter and linkage is gone. A new clutch and needed parts and the new shifter and linkage kit would be outrageously expensive for me. I already need about $2000 worth of restoration parts - tires, brakes, shocks, windshield, interior, and paint.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Went to my local Pep Boys in Tulsa today. I got new door strikers, window cranks, lower door panel clips, and a pair of 3 1/2 dual cone 30 watt dash speakers. I have not seen 3 1/2 speakers in awhile. I thought they quit making them. For $12 each, I was happy to get them. Going to be running the factory AM/FM cassette radio if I can find a set of factory 78 knobs. I forgot to check on 14" beauty rings for my stock ralley wheels. OPG has them for around $70 but I bet PepBoys is way cheaper. They did not have the outer door handles in stock so I ordered a set from my local O'Reilley auto for around $50 pair.

DaveyT442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2013
SW Minnesota
Really nice starting point! I have a factory '78 salon 442 and an 87 442... both cars have gone on the back burner to concentrate on my sons 81 'bu... let me know if you want pics and mesurments for stripes and decals....

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Subscribed. Like Jack, I like the odd ducks, so i will be watching this for sure!

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Been dying to try some woodgraining teqniques. I watched alot of youtube vids then went to Lowes. I found the graining tool, a wide cheap bristled brush, and a can of dark brown brush paint. I already had a can of SEM light oak. I removed the vents and taped off the inside area for the vents. I scotch brited the entire panel and spray painted it light oak. I set it in the sun for about 10 minutes. I then dilluted the dark brown brush paint with thinner and brushed the panel. I first tried the graining tool but it did not work. The panel has a raised edge all the way around keeping the tool from getting full contact. I wiped the panel down with the paint thinner. It did not hurt the SEM paint. I rebrushed the panel with the dark brown and used my wadded up Lowes sack and dobbed the brush painted panel. This is a teqnique for marblizing but I tried it. I actually like this look. I like the burl wood type grain over the line grain. I'm going to let it dry overnight and spray it with auto clear through a gun to build it up pretty heavy. It should look pretty cool after clear. I'll then use a silver paint pen to high light the raised area around it to look stock.

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I also bought a few mechanical parts that it will need. I had a $150 budget this pay period but I got both front brake calipers(reman), poly end link kit, poly front mounts for front sway bar(1.25), rear axle seals, pinion seal, rear brake hose, and upper A-arm bushings. After the 15th, I plan on getting a brake booster/master combo. Little by little I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor