Hard mounted hangers

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Has anyone hung their exhaust with solid mounts (no isolators)?

I have poly motor and trans mounts, long tubes with collector flanges which go to a crossover and mufflers which exit before the rear wheels. I like the one piece bolted simplicity which can be easily removed. Space is limited (as i am sure you all know) I have exhaust tucked nicely and dont want any rattling.

I know first reaction is to frown on this but would like to hear if anyone is doing it and what your results are. I looked at some hot rod isolated hanger options on line and many look like they provide little if any flex, so wondering where exactly to draw the line.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have all solid attachment points for the exhaust on my Monte and my 4" tail pipes are bolted to a rear roll bar, I can only do this because my engine and trans mounts are solid and nothing moves, IMO any application where there is some movement you will need something to absorb the vibrations and not be stressed by any movement.

r .
IMG_0015.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Looks good 565bbchevy

Anyone else?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
My 79 Monte Carlo has the exhaust which was done by the previous owner solid mounted with flex joints behind the header collectors. Love the fact nothing moves or rattles, just wish they did not weld EVERY joint.
Below is the best picture I have of it right now.

2015 306 (2).JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
My 79 Monte Carlo has the exhaust which was done by the previous owner solid mounted with flex joints behind the header collectors. Love the fact nothing moves or rattles, just wish they did not weld EVERY joint.
Below is the best picture I have of it right now.

View attachment 220493
I like that. May need to go with this option

Edit. On second thought I may not have the room.

Attachments

• C5852394-1897-4560-A4D7-A5040E18B583.jpeg
    C5852394-1897-4560-A4D7-A5040E18B583.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 73

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
No pictures available, but I have hard hangers and no issues. The shop that did the job made the hangers, tips exit behind the rear tire, as opposed to out the back.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Know your goal and go for it. Make darn sure you have flex connections similar to 79 USA 1 setup because if not, those poly mounts WILL allow some engine flex. Not much, but enough to mess with your exhaust over time without a moving section. If you're racing, who cares if you hard-mount it or not? If you have stuff mounted to other stuff that has some isolator points (like a sway bar, etc.) that's all cool, but you WILL get resonance through the body with hard mounted stuff to the frame or body. Not pleasing on a mainly street driven car. If you don't care about that, have at it. I'm certainly not frowning at it, but you're opening up a can of "I wish I had have done this differently" if you don't like the end result.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Know your goal and go for it. Make darn sure you have flex connections similar to 79 USA 1 setup because if not, those poly mounts WILL allow some engine flex. Not much, but enough to mess with your exhaust over time without a moving section. If you're racing, who cares if you hard-mount it or not? If you have stuff mounted to other stuff that has some isolator points (like a sway bar, etc.) that's all cool, but you WILL get resonance through the body with hard mounted stuff to the frame or body. Not pleasing on a mainly street driven car. If you don't care about that, have at it. I'm certainly not frowning at it, but you're opening up a can of "I wish I had have done this differently" if you don't like the end result.
I guess i am mainly worried about breaking something or stressing header bolts. I have them hard mounted now and it sounds great, no resonance, but i havent been hard on it yet (breaking in rear end right now) so very little flex to speak of. Right now i am thinking the universal hangers with a rubber section for peace of mind

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor