Hard Starting When Cold Only.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
My 1980 Malibu has a 350 SB engine with an Edelbrock Carbarator. When it is cold I have an extremely hard time getting it started. Once started it runs great as it should. Warm starts never an issue. I do have a hand choke on it and it is working properly as I have observed the front butterfly closed when I choke it. I use a very small shot of starting fluid and it fires right up when it is cold. Anyone here on the forum have any idea to what could be wrong here.... . Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I am going to go with the well plugs in the carb leaking out over time. Look it up on the internet. Its been discussed many times. The fuel pump COULD be allowing it to drain back, but it should still start I would think and then stall.

Reactions: 1 user

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
I am going to go with the well plugs in the carb leaking out over time. Look it up on the internet. Its been discussed many times. The fuel pump COULD be allowing it to drain back, but it should still start I would think and then stall.

Thanks I will read that.. As far as starting then stalling. No it will not fire at all... But once I shoot just a tad of starting fluid to it she fires right up and runs fine.. Thanks for your input....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if it starts properly when it is warm out and the problem is only when it is cold I don't think it's a problem with the well plugs leaking or the fuel draining back. I think It's a problem with the choke setup

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Have you tried cranking the engine to fill the fuel bowl before trying to fire it? That should tell you if it's dry or not.

Yes I sure have...... I did add a inline fuel pressure gauge several months ago but it was doing fine after that addition.. This just cropped up in the last couple weeks now...

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
if it starts properly when it is warm out and the problem is only when it is cold I don't think it's a problem with the well plugs leaking or the fuel draining back. I think It's a problem with the choke setup

Actually that is what I was focusing on.. What about an electric choke to replace the hand choke.. I guess there would be no difference as the choke cable is choking it...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Actually that is what I was focusing on.. What about an electric choke to replace the hand choke.. I guess there would be no difference as the choke cable is choking it...

you need to have the choke valve open a little as soon as the car starts. The vacuum breaker opens it a little so I'm not sure with a manual choke how the choke valve is opened

rochester-quadrajet-choke-parts.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor