Hard steering while turning left

Status
Not open for further replies.

81Caleh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 27, 2015
Toronto , Ontario
Hey everyone, took the car out for a little drive today and about 20 mins in I was making a left at an intersection and as soon as I went to turn the wheel it was stiff as hell like it had no PS. Thought maybe the belt broke or came off so I immediately pulled over and inspected but everything looks perfectly fine. It got a little better as I drove home, now its more like hard spots. but turn to the right and everything is perfect.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sounds like air in the system. Was it disconnected ever?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
If it was air the pump would be whining, I would be checking out the steering box.Try jacking up the front with the 2wheels off the ground, without engine running. Grab tire and move left and right. See if its hard goin left. Also check tie rods and ball joints.

81Caleh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 27, 2015
Toronto , Ontario
The pump and one PS line was changed a few months ago along with the tie rods ,upper and lower ball joints, center link and idler arm. The car was driven multiple times after all the work was done, steering felt like a ferrari at first but has gotten progressively softer

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree you should get the front end up in the air and check things out. Running the motor while turning the steering lock to lock will expel any air and will show if the box or something else is bad since there will be no weight on the wheels. A slipping belt will cause grabby steering and yet may not squeal at all. After all that work was the front end aligned?

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Sounds like your steeringbox is kaput! Maybe it's been set up too tight when installed.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My jeep steering box is shot and it is stiff on both side and won't return to center. A recirculating ball box would be the same on both directions if it was shot and the op said it got better as he drove it so I think Mark had it right that there is air in the system

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
I had a very similar situation. The steering box was bad . So i upgraded to a close ratio box. I haven't had trouble since. Definitely check the rest of the front end and make sure nothing is binding

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
The worm gear could have a crack in it or a bad spot in it. When the ball nut reaches that spot while turning left it causes friction and makes it hard to steer. Everything is fine steering to the right because the ball nut isn't on that area of the worm gear. Yer jeep could have a bad worm nut, recirculating ball tube or sector gear because its hard both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor