Hard time finding fuel filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

81MalibuMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2019
Hey guys I got a 1981 Chevy Malibu Base model with a V6 3.8L she's turning over but won't stay running. My bet is that the fuel filter is gunked to hell only problem is that I can't figure out where it is. Doesn't help that I'm new to working on my own cars. I've been googling for an answer all day couldn't find any info that was useful to me. Wanna take a look see b4 I have to bring it down to a shop. Any pics or diagrams that would point me in the direction would be most appreciated.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The fuel filter should be where the inlet screws into the carb. You'll probably have to unscrew the steel line and then the filter housing on the carb. Once that housing is removed, you should then see the filter element inside. Just pull it out of there.
Just be careful not to strip out the threads on the carb.
This video should give you an indication of where it's situated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
My understanding is its in the same place as teh 4bbl..

filter.png

PAY ATTENTION when you take it out and DO NOT put the new one in BACKWARDS. There is a spring in there too.

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it would help with a bit of history, did the car ever run properly and if it did when did this problem show up?

81MalibuMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2019
it would help with a bit of history, did the car ever run properly and if it did when did this problem show up?
It's been running fine since I bought it in August. Noticed the engine shake a bit like a week ago. This morning I started it up drove a little bit down my street and it just stalled out after shaking alot.

81MalibuMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2019
when was the last time you gave it a tune up?
Changed the spark plugs, got an oil change and bought a new air filter all in September also replaced the belts and the alternator. That's about as much that got done. Recommend anything else get done?

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Distributor cap, button... and fuel filter... clean all grounds (battery to frame, frame to engine (both ends)) spray down the carb with carb cleaner... ensure the choke is functioning properly.

-Gonz

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

81MalibuMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2019
Distributor cap, button... and fuel filter... clean all grounds (battery to frame, frame to engine (both ends)) spray down the carb with carb cleaner... ensure the choke is functioning properly.

-Gonz

-Gonz
By the distributor cap button do you mean the tops of where the cables connect to it? (Again I'm very newto all this)

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Distributor cap is where the plugs attach. the button is underneath it... Typically, they come together, but sometimes not.

-Gonz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor