Hard wiring dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Sounds like a good idea to me. However, you need to do it very neatly and use high quality parts and wire. You need to be adept at soldering and using heat shrink tubing. Do not use cheap insulated crimp connectors. If you need to use connectors, get uninsulated ones and use heat shrink tubing. You also want to be able to have the cluster unplug so that means finding a quality multi connection plug and socket. Could use 2 if necessary.
It will be a fair amount of work but you will have a reliable setup if you do it well. The factory floppy circuit board leaves a lot to be desired. Even when new the resistance to the bulbs is relatively high. When they get old, it really gets bad.

My solution was to go with the Dakota VHX setup. Best $800 I've put in the car. If you can justify the cost. I say do that.

IMG_13152.JPG
That dash is beautiful!

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Something that might be helpful:
made this but not sure of how much help it might be to other people.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Also, if you need short runs of TXL or GXL wire in different colors Ive been buying stuff from wirebarn.com. Price isnt that bad and they have a bunch of colors.
Thanks for the tip

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor