Harmonic Balancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I am planing on doing a engine swap in a 83-88 Monte Carlo SS. i plan on using a LQ4 block. What harmonic balancer/crank pulley shoud I use? I don't think the stock truck one would be the best for a performance aplication but I have been wrong before.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I thought it would be balnaced for a truck aplication. This is my first engine swap so still learning, please excuse the ignorance. I dont know if it makes a difference but I am ging to put L92 heads on the block.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Which stock balacer you use really depends on what accessory drive you want to run, assuming you want to run a stock accessory drive (F Body, Vette, truck) as they have different depths. If you are going to run truck accessories, run the truck balancer, unless of course if you want to run an underdrive balancer (smaller diameter than stock). There are lots of aftermarket brackets out there to repackage the truck accessories as well, so it just depends on what you want to do, but you don't necessarily need to replace the stock balancer.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I actually wanted to ask about that. I have read on another forum about fitment issues with the accessories. Which set up would fit nicely into the G-body? I was thinking using the F-body set up cause I am more familiar with that but would a vette one work?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The Corvette accessory drive fits best of the GM drives in my opinion, with a relocated compressor up high on the passenger side. The truck drive will fit, depending on what mounts you use but the alternator is tight to the hood. Check out ICT Billet. They make brackets that will repackage the truck accessories if you are on a budget and are going to use used truck accessories.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Camaro engine bay 3-14-2014 7.JPG

That's the Corvette accessory drive in my brother's 78 Camaro. We used the Holley bracket for the A/C compressor but there are other options for a high mount compressor on the passenger side including a different Holley bracket for a Sanden compressor and other aftermarket brackets for Sanden compressors and I believe for even relocating the truck compressor.

Reactions: 1 users

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
The vette accessory drive looks nice. Is there a fitment issue with having the compressor down low on the G-bodies? Is that why it seems everyone moves it up high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor