harness question?? please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
I posted this in the electrical forum but I'm not sure that i posted in the right area cause its been a few days with no response...

Are all engine harnesses interchangeable with g bodies? I mean I know there's differences between v6 and v8s, and TBI, but if I need a whole new harness from fuse box plug out, can I look for any v8 carbureted gbody engine harness? Would a v6 work for a v8?

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I sorry I dont have a yes or no answer for you. But giving it some thought, I dont see why not. I mean, one would think a V6 is going to need the same basic stuff/hook ups to work as a V8 would right? Im interested to see what responses you get from others with more knowledge than myself about this.

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
Yeah I'm not sure about length of wires, maybe color too? I have a 327 in my regal that was a v6.. Not sure if some motors had alternator, batteries, and starters on driver side. Mine has everything on the passenger side.

Main reason I need to know is I'm doing a grand Prix dash swap into the regal and I have the entire fuse panel and unmolested wires I want to swap too, but I need a new engine harness since my Buick's was hacked up by PO and I'm missing the one from the GP

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Main plug is the same - once you remove the 1/4 in headed bolt you can separate the engine and light harness

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
Thanks. Yeah I knew about the 2 plugs, just wanted to confirm I can take off other cars. My local scrap yard has a few cars I can grab from. :)

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC

turboaudi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2013
upstate NY
the plug is the same but the wiring may not be in the same position in the plug also there may be extra wires or wires missing if you had pinout/ wiring diagrams from the gp you could make a harness work dave

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
Yeah I actually ordered some shop manuals for my 87 grand Prix and for my 80 grand Prix. I'll try to hunt down an 87 grand Prix harness

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
There are slight differeces. When I did my V8 swap into the Regal, I was able to reuse the engine harness. However, I had to lengthen some of the wires, and the Buick V6 harness doesn't have hookups for SBC idle kicker. I will have to replace it with a V8 harness from a MC one of these days.

Just an FYI, the computer harnesses are different for every engine type, the pins won't even match up. That is why I swapped out the whole V6 computer harness for a SBC V8 one, was very simple and easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor