Has anyone ever "flushed" quarter glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I am removing the vinyl top on an 84 Cutlass and would like the cleaner look of flushed glass. Any ideas or pics appreciated if this is even possible

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I guess it can be done with enough time and money (minimal kits out there for windshields and back glass, but usually run around $1500 EACH), but that's an awful lot of effort for something that 90% of the time nobody gives a crap about. For one, you'd have to find someone who makes the glass (it needs to be DOT compliant and it's not exactly flat, you know).

Then prepping the hole to accept it will be another challenge. Would it look good? Maybe. I know it's emerging as a "thing" but I think that's because people are getting lazy in trying to find good trim or install it properly. It can be a PITA to do that sometimes so I get that, but for 1500...I think I could find some good trim for that kinda money.

Your car, your money, do what you want. I just don't think many more people than you and a handful of your closest buds may give a crap about flush sail panel glass.

One question to ask yourself- Does flush glass fit into your overall plan for the car? Anything can be done, but if you have a plain jane 84 Cutlass, is that where you want to put your money first? (Rhetorical question, as I have no idea of the status of your ride)

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Forgive me, I forgot about the back glass too since the vinyl top makes that an issue as well.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I tried flushing the quarter windows on my 83 el camino, in which the quarter glass has to line up with the door glass perfectly. The factory glass did not have useable edges to line up or be seen. I used 1/4" lexan And ground down the back & bottom inside edge thinner to fit without additional metal work. Then blacked out entire inside with windshield edging primer. Gave a nice touch when done, was a subtle touch but way the heck nicer than stock. But gave other issues, such as with door weatherstrip.

In your case, the cutlass has a separated glass from the door , so you won't have my issues. If your stock glass has nice edges & you want to flush it , then metalwork will most likely need to be done to make a nice edge out to the glass. May also need to modify metal to set glass against for proper depth, though a certain amount of depth can be adjusted by using plastic or rubber spacers & thicker sealant. Edges of glass need to be coated with black primer on inside, like modern cars to hide edge AND to prevent sunlight from rotting the urethane sealant.
Lexan or acrylic glass can be used, but it scratches easy. Custom curved tempered glass can be made by a specialty glass shop ( requires a mold), but will be expensive.
Back & front window existing glass may be possible to reuse if custom metal work is done.
Can you expertly weld 20 gauge sheet metal??

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
In your case, the cutlass has a separated glass from the door , so you won't have my issues. If your stock glass has nice edges & you want to flush it , then metalwork will most likely need to be done to make a nice edge out to the glass. May also need to modify metal to set glass against for proper depth, though a certain amount of depth can be adjusted by using plastic or rubber spacers & thicker sealant. Edges of glass need to be coated with black primer on inside, like modern cars to hide edge AND to prevent sunlight from rotting the urethane sealant.
Lexan or acrylic glass can be used, but it scratches easy. Custom curved tempered glass can be made by a specialty glass shop ( requires a mold), but will be expensive.
Back & front window existing glass may be possible to reuse if custom metal work is done.
Can you expertly weld 20 gauge sheet metal??
And quarter glass can be reused, again, if custom metal work is done. How much do you want to spend is the real question.

The quarter glass does come with the black primer around the perimeter. But the glass does not extend out very far from what you can actually see on the outside anyway. Maybe about a 1/4" further inside the lip of the rubber. In order to use the factory glass without the rubber seal, you'd really have to shrink up the body hole by, only a guesstimate, about 1/2" all the way around, plus make up for the depth of the rubber seal, which wouldn't be an issue. I'm only speculating as far as the 1/2" perimeter, I haven't measured because I never will do this. But there's a lot to consider. If it was a full-on custom car stem to stern, this might be a worthy endeavor. But for simply tooling around in, IMO, it's $$ that could be better spent elsewhere. JMO

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
have more time than money and yes I can weld. Don't know if I'll attempt it but I do like the cleaner look. Don't care who knows or what they think just want it for myself. Thanks all !!!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
have more time than money and yes I can weld. Don't know if I'll attempt it but I do like the cleaner look. Don't care who knows or what they think just want it for myself. Thanks all !!!
Be the trailblazer!!! I think it might look cool, but again, unless it's a "just to see if I can do it" project, I'd probably not do it on a Cutlass. But your time/money/skills. If you decide to do it, you need to take pics and create the story on how you did it. It may just catch fire.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I flushed the windshield to cut down on drag and wind noise from the chrome pieces. I welded in strips to raise the windshield ledge and when installing the windshield it sits as high as I could get it to the roof line. I would like to flush the door windows but that would mean making new doors and windows. Without flushing the door windows I don't see the purpose doing the quarter panel windows.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Do you have pics... would like to see the outcome
I flushed the windshield to cut down on drag and wind noise from the chrome pieces. I welded in strips to raise the windshield ledge and when installing the windshield it sits as high as I could get it to the roof line. I would like to flush the door windows but that would mean making new doors and windows. Without flushing the door windows I don't see the purpose doing the quarter panel windows.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
will do

Be the trailblazer!!! I think it might look cool, but again, unless it's a "just to see if I can do it" project, I'd probably not do it on a Cutlass. But your time/money/skills. If you decide to do it, you need to take pics and create the story on how you did it. It may just catch fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor