Has anyone ever retrofitted a 5L50 automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
I was just curious. Yeah, they're not designed from the factory to hold up to gobs of torque, but the early iterations of the 200-4R and 700-R4 were nothing to write home about, either.

The gear ratios seem to be well thought it, well, in my opinion, anyway. The bellhousing is removable, so I guess a replacement bellhousing could be made to bolt up to, well, anything.

So, that leaves the questions of:
- Would it fit in a G-body trans tunnel?
- Does anyone make a BOP bellhousing for it?
- Does anyone build these to hold up to serious torque?
- Is it cost-effective/cost-competitive versus the 200-4R/700-R4?

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I would say probably not... The 4L60E and 80E are so plentiful that in order for the 5L40 swap to be successful it would probably need to be built to handle what your engine can throw at it.

Even if you had one laying around I think it would be cheaper to scrap a good 5L40, buy a used 4L60, and buy a BOP adapter plate

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
True, I figured that the 200-4R, 700-R4, 4L60E and 4L80E are plentiful enough - but the idea of it being a 5 speed, rather than 4, and with its particular gear ratio spread appealed to me. I had also assumed that being older, it might be more economical to use than to, say, go for a 6-speed auto.

It just seems like that trans is almost an unknown... or has been overlooked. Then again, maybe it's been overlooked for good reason? Just curious, really.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
If I was going to do another auto swap to a newer computer controlled setup, I just go the tried and true route of using a 4L80E because you know it fits and it's darn near bullet proof.

You can convert a 4L80E into a 6 speed trans with an aftermarket valve body and controller. The shop where I had my car dyno'd had worked on a 1983 H/O that they put a 6.0l LS engine and the 4L80E/6 speed with paddle shifters in. Said it worked well.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l80e.htm

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
That's part of the problem - there really isn't a whole lot of info on GM's 5-speed auto. The basics are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_5L40-E_transmission

Hmm... that modified 4L80E - intriguing indeed. Damn pricey, but enticing nonetheless! I might have to look into that....

Didn't see any notation of it on their website, but do they offer an actual BOP bellhousing, or is an adapter required? I think the 5L50 has a separate bellhousing, so swaps would be easier.

I do like the new gearset ratios they have, as well...

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
The reason there is no real info on the 5L50 is that it's a French made trans for GMs european based cars. It was problematic on more powerful cars and so it got quickly replaced.
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor