Has anyone every seen this before. "Happy Birthday Jim!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMH

n00b
Dec 6, 2022
I recently purchased an 87 GN with 11k miles from the original owner. The car is in pristine condition. Still has the factory tires and original paint. Besides a few oil changes and one factory recall repair, no other work has been performed to this car. My mechanic and I put it on a lift to inspect the undercarriage. We noticed hand written notes on the frame above the transmission. You can clearly see Happy Birthday Jim. The other wording is directly under the transmission so we were not able to make out what it says. This can only be done with the transmission out of the car. The previous owner who I speak with regularly is adamant that the transmission was never removed from the car since he owned it brand new from the factory.

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever seen this before? Have assembly line workers ever been known to do something like this or could this be one of one? I'm tempted to have the transmission pulled to see what else was written. Any thoughts?

IMG_3690.jpg
IMG_3689.jpg
IMG_3687.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Guessing that was done at the Fisher body plant or by the folks that loaded the body shells on rail cars. No one at the assembly plant probably saw it.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
"I recently purchased an 87 GN with 11k miles from the original owner."

man, smh..... lol i had more of a smart @$$ comment for getting such a find. anyway welcome, i doubt that's a thing of significance. HOWEVER! if you want to know more its obvious someone upline wanted to send someone downline a msg on a shift with some deep connection. (my reply is coming out all screwed up)

do this go thru the #s on that car to certify where it was assembled and contact that local news outlet(s) and tell em your story and would hope to find the 1s involved in that msg anf get their story. having turned teen in that era imo i would have doubts anyone over 30 would do something like that in 86'. let us know, thats a hell of a story

Last edited:
  • Agree

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
seeing the title,thought it was 64nailhead's birthday..
that's cool.i had a manager that said in his early gm dealership days he had come across a lug nut hanging from a string with a note asking how long did it take to find me..

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Old school military drew Kilroy Was Here all over the place in WWII. If I remember right it started as a Navy Submarine or Ship inspector that just left that as his good to go sign on everything he checked.

Modern military now we just draw dicks on everything, started in the early 2000's at some point. Behind aircraft panels randomly, a few part of the random graffiti where other troops have been, on bombs and other ordnance going out to send some turds into the land of 72 Virgins. Can't say I didn't leave a few signature drawings from my time in Iraq and several other places. I'm sure there's a few cultures as well as even people here confused as hell.🤣

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I wouldn't pull it apart unless it was going to be modified or repaired. Not with 11k miles on it. Leave it as is. Whatever the message was, it wasn't for you or the original owner, anyway, and there wasn't time enough to leave a cryptic map to a buried treasure. :) We'll probably never know for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Old school military drew Kilroy Was Here all over the place in WWII. If I remember right it started as a Navy Submarine or Ship inspector that just left that as his good to go sign on everything he checked.

Modern military now we just draw dicks on everything, started in the early 2000's at some point. Behind aircraft panels randomly, a few part of the random graffiti where other troops have been, on bombs and other ordnance going out to send some turds into the land of 72 Virgins. Can't say I didn't leave a few signature drawings from my time in Iraq and several other places. I'm sure there's a few cultures as well as even people here confused as hell.🤣
In 2009 at an outpost near Baghdad Island we had a fellow NCO drew a large circus parade of dicks inspired by the battalion command staff. It went around the whole tower. The CSM saw it, thought it was funny until he saw he was one of the clowns. Made us paint over it all.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
In 2009 at an outpost near Baghdad Island we had a fellow NCO drew a large circus parade of dicks inspired by the battalion command staff. It went around the whole tower. The CSM saw it, thought it was funny until he saw he was one of the clowns. Made us paint over it all.
No one appreciates fine art.

We drew in a nice 4ft one in the graffiti on the plywood ceiling of the old PAX Terminal at Al Udied, the female Cpt. that was sitting there watching us thought it was pretty funny and appreciated it when we got finished. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor