Has Anyone Made Their Own Aux Fuel Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
My only good option in the dually with camper is a pork chop tank (or 2!) on the bed. Titan makes a plastic one, but I can't modify it for my use and they're damn proud of it. I was thinking of using 14ga steel. Is this under/overkill? Should I have internal reinforcements? I intend for it to gravity feed into the filler neck but also have a shutoff valve. The sticker under the hood says the evap can handle around 100 gallons, so I'd have the top of the tank vented and teed into the factory evap system. I figure I could start with a 4x8 sheet and bend the sides, bottom, and top as one piece only needing to weld the sides on? I think I'd need to fill it from the truck's main tank with a pump. There is not enough space between the camper and truck bed for a decent filler neck, I don't think.

20190510_180044.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe get a custom aluminum fuel cell made, I know RCI makes them and probably many other places.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm not real familiar with the gmt400s... what's your clearance like for a saddle tank between bedside and frame?

I've seen gmt400 beds put on squarebodies before, and they kept the oem saddle tanks. Can you slip a pair of 20 gallon long tanks, one to each side, like a square body, then put a transfer pump in the sender unit hanger like a 1987-1991 r/v series square body would use?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Maybe get a custom aluminum fuel cell made, I know RCI makes them and probably many other places.

1 or 2 of these would do the trick if I have 30" between the front of the bed and the fender, maybe I should have been searching for cells all along.

I'm not real familiar with the gmt400s... what's your clearance like for a saddle tank between bedside and frame?

I've seen gmt400 beds put on squarebodies before, and they kept the oem saddle tanks. Can you slip a pair of 20 gallon long tanks, one to each side, like a square body, then put a transfer pump in the sender unit hanger like a 1987-1991 r/v series square body would use?

There may be enough clearance for me to sneak in an extra battery per side for the camper on a fabricated mount but that's about it.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Just a real long shot, but what about tanks that are used on campers and rv's. They would be real shallow and may fit in the bed. Not sure if they rated to hold fuel, but just free thinking here?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Just a real long shot, but what about tanks that are used on campers and rv's. They would be real shallow and may fit in the bed. Not sure if they rated to hold fuel, but just free thinking here?

Seems those lay down flat, I need something that stands up. I took a crack at Summit's site to see if anyone else made anything similar, then answer is yes. Summit, RCI, and Rhodes Race Cars all sell what appears to be the same thing under their name.

I know the length is good by an inch or 2, gotta go see what my width is. I tried measuring that on the 1500 but with its bedliner in the way I only measured 6". I know it's wider than that, but I also know there's a notch on the floor/side where the fuel neck comes in. The camper is a tight fit back there, so I would definitely prefer it not to be wider than the fender. For $270 a pop, I'm inclined to get 2. Pop a fuel level gauge on the A pillar with air pressure or oil temperature. I just wonder if the camper would move around enough to fatigue these cells. Probably a better question for the RV forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor