Has anyone made their own headliner back board?

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
I am missing my headliner in my cutlass and I have thought about using those foam gym flooring pads that connect together as the backboard, then using a material to cover when I cut the foam to fit. Haven't done it yet but it's an idea.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Expanding foam is used in the car audio scene to fill empty areas to reduce rattles, and insulate sound. Typically it's made of 2 parts you mix and then pour into the areas you are trying to fill. I can't put much input into how a headliner would go
I do like the idea of a product that can be poured on rather than sprayed on. I think something with a loose consistency would be more beneficial. I I think by pouring a substance on would give you better workability, if that makes any sense.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
If you have the existing backing board, you could use it to make the reverse mold with the fiberglass, then you could use the foam to create the new shell,

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you have the existing backing board, you could use it to make the reverse mold with the fiberglass, then you could use the foam to create the new shell,
Darrin,
I thought about that, but the backside of my existing headliner has a couple repair areas that are a little lumpy, which I feel wouldn't make for a nice mold.. I would think that It would be preferred to start with a board that's smooth and never been repaired. I know that sounds optimistic.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This is another reason to miss the original J.C. Whitney. Ages back they used to sell bow style headliner kits to replace the foam board. I still believe the bow style is better than what we have. Wish I bought one back then.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
This is another reason to miss the original J.C. Whitney. Ages back they used to sell bow style headliner kits to replace the foam board. I still believe the bow style is better than what we have. Wish I bought one back then.
I think someone still offers a bow style conversion. It would look good if done right.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
JC Whitney. P A W.

Brings back memories, id take them over amazon every time. Good old days.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Darrin,
I thought about that, but the backside of my existing headliner has a couple repair areas that are a little lumpy, which I feel wouldn't make for a nice mold.. I would think that It would be preferred to start with a board that's smooth and never been repaired. I know that sounds optimistic.
nice thing about a mold, is you can fill/sand the inside of the buck... I actually have the original backer for my 2dr regal, I patched the cracks/holes with spray adhesive and thinner cereal box cardboard. I guess I've held on to it for all these years hoping to do just this... I had found a better board at a junkyard a few years back (just thinking back, it's been more than 8 years, before I started my current job) and recovered it, and it hangs flat, supported from the back bedroom ceiling ....

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor