Has anyone replaced the ECM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcotrk

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2021
Curious if you have had to replace your ECM?
And the reasons why and how you were brought to that conclusion?
Want to know what are different ways they can go bad
Thx

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I did years back in my 86 El Camino. I was having issue with getting the dwell set on the carb after rebuilding it, would go dead lean and stall the engine. I managed to find a point where it did run but The "Service Engine Soon" light then went into a state of constant flash without having a code reader installed. Lasted a few days before the car went into full rich limp mode. (Rotten egg smell exhaust, NO power)
A good friend offered a new ECM he had removed from his 86 SS drag car and after install and re adjusting the dwell on the Q-jet it ran problem free for over 200,000 miles.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you drop them from the top of the stairs, it's probably not good for them. For the most part, they're pretty durable parts, believe it or not. If they've been living in high humidity and dunked in water, or been laying out in the boneyard for 15 years or so, all bets are off. But generally speaking, if your car has been driving around for the last 35-40 years, you likely wouldn't have had to mess with it.

The only time you probably would have to change it out is if your diagnostic checks rule out EVERYTHING but the ECM. The CSM kinda uses this as an out, but it's true that if every sensor and wire checks out like it should but still aren't getting the right signals out of the ECM, then replacing the ECM isn't the worst thing in the world. But it should never be the first choice unless it's been under water, or caked with mud, or rusty as heck, or you accidently let the smoke out of it.

It's rare, but an ECM failure can happen. 99% of the time, it's a sensor or bad vacuum hoses or mucked up/loose/broken wiring.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My Mom's 1989 Cutlass Cierra went through a few. Back then it was easy to get a junkyard ECM and swap the OEM chip into that. Her problem was with the AC which the ECM had a role in somehow.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Usually they end up getting removed and replaced with an old school carb or a modern EFI system. Cars of our vitage don't need them in the fine state of NY to pas inspection, so when problems arise - out they go.

Probably at some point I'll wish I had the saved the ones that I've thrown away.

elcotrk

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2021
If you drop them from the top of the stairs, it's probably not good for them. For the most part, they're pretty durable parts, believe it or not. If they've been living in high humidity and dunked in water, or been laying out in the boneyard for 15 years or so, all bets are off. But generally speaking, if your car has been driving around for the last 35-40 years, you likely wouldn't have had to mess with it.

The only time you probably would have to change it out is if your diagnostic checks rule out EVERYTHING but the ECM. The CSM kinda uses this as an out, but it's true that if every sensor and wire checks out like it should but still aren't getting the right signals out of the ECM, then replacing the ECM isn't the worst thing in the world. But it should never be the first choice unless it's been under water, or caked with mud, or rusty as heck, or you accidently let the smoke out of it.

It's rare, but an ECM failure can happen. 99% of the time, it's a sensor or bad vacuum hoses or mucked up/loose/broken wiring.
GM service manual checking TPS, sensor and wiring OK. Still High voltage 417 blue wire, manual says everything checks out replace ECM, burns rich won’t idle guzzles gas
That’s why I think it would be rare it would go bad
Getting a remanufactured or used is a concern

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Soon they'll be worth...
dr-evil-one-billion-dollars.gif
The worst part is you're probably correct.

I have a an original ECM and MAF ECM for an '85 Vette (one year only).

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
GM service manual checking TPS, sensor and wiring OK. Still High voltage 417 blue wire, manual says everything checks out replace ECM, burns rich won’t idle guzzles gas
That’s why I think it would be rare it would go bad
Getting a remanufactured or used is a concern
You couldn't get a new one regardless. Even GM ones were re-manufactured. Now it may have been possible to get a new one within the model year it was being built, but after that, you were getting reman units. Nearly every single one of them. They did that with starters and alternators too. Plus a few other things. They started the reman thing with water pumps later, but mostly they were new, carbs were new, and A.I.R. pumps were new, along with P.S. pumps, master cylinders and brake boosters.

• Agree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Replaced my 86 ECM with an 87 ECM so I could run a ZZ4 chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor