hate my headers, looking for an alternative..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfcvdv

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2010
Noord holland, the netherlands
hey guys

in the past 4 years i drive my chevy-powered 79 regal, i own a pair of long tube dynomax headers. there definatly not the worst you can get, but i hate them.
they are noisey, the always find a way to leak, and they are getting a bit rusty now...

i was wondering if there are any alternatives besides these longtube headers. i am looking for something with a good flow, and quiet performance.
i recently found a company named sanderson who makes cast iron block hugger headers. but will they actually fit on a g-body?

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sanderson-QP1000-Cast-Series-Small-Block-Chevy-Header-Set.html

does anyone know more about the options on this subject?

i would like to hear your opinions
Thanks

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Those are center dump headers and will not fit a G Body. Your best bet are coated or stainless rear dump shorty headers. While your at it, use copper header gaskets and locking bolts. That will fix the leaking. Of course, you could port a pair of factory manifolds. :mrgreen:

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
RegalBegal said:
Those are center dump headers and will not fit a G Body. Your best bet are coated or stainless rear dump shorty headers. While your at it, use copper header gaskets and locking bolts. That will fix the leaking. Of course, you could port a pair of factory manifolds. :mrgreen:

x2 what RegalBegal said. Summit Racing has pretty affordable, ceramic coated, full-length headers for your setup. I prefer the dead-soft aluminum-type header gaskets though.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Sad the direct fit TES and Hooker 2040 headers are discontinued since they work pretty well. The used set of TES headers in my Regal are pretty quiet and don't leak. Long tubes do hurt low end power for street driven cars, for daliy driving shorties and mid tubes are a better choice.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
FWIW, how about trying out a set of headers with a ball/socket collector flange vs. the traditional flat faced flange. Anyone have any experience with those? The last time I bought a set of headers, that design hadn't been on the market yet but I would imagine that would seal much better at the collector anyway.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I have the flowtech afterburner headers and couldn't be happier. I've had them for 5 years now and have no issues. Made by Holley

pfcvdv

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2010
Noord holland, the netherlands
yeah those ss shortys look nice. but $800 for a pair of tubes is a bit silly. how about the headman s-10 shortys? will they fit? because it looks like they could...
if they could, i can make the head flanges myself, maybe of 3/8'' steel plates making for a better seal. wrap the tubes up in a iron-epoxy composite to dampen the sound (mixing iron powder and epoxy creates an awesome material btw) and they already have the ball flanges.

good idea?

i dont know i i want to go with the full tubes again. it doesnt really makes a lot of sense to me.. im not racing it, its my daily driver

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Properly sized long tube headers will gain power everywhere in the rpm range. The only thing that sucks about long tubes is fitment when buying cheapo ones.

Fastmax32168

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2011
I used LT1 exhaust manifolds on my build so that I would never have to deal with all of the header problems and i could not be happier with that decison. If they cost me a few HP so be it. They are one of the best flowing exhaust manifolds GM ever built, and they are rear dumps. I have no clearance issues. I did have to grind on them a bit as there is a slight mismatch between LT1 ports and regular SBC ports that I wanted to eliminate but in the end they worked out.
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor