Hate to be one of those guys - bad starter solenoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Hi all,

Its been a looong while since I’ve logged on here - I hate to be the guy that only participates when he needs help! Promise I’ll try to be a little more active haha

To make a long story short, I’ve got an 86 El Camino with a stock 305. She’s been sitting all winter so I went to jump her last night with a battery charger, 12V @ 200A, and I think something might have fried.

Usually when you turn the key before starting the engine, you hear “click click click click click” and the gauges would turn on, warning lights, etc.

Now, only a couple warning lights come on and nothing else works. I’ve checked all fuses, so I’m thinking I may have cooked my starter or solenoid. Does that sound right to y’all?
See below for a video of what happens when I turn the key now

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
Did you let the battery charrge for 15-20 minutes before you attempted to start it. It does not look like you have enough charge to start it. Battery could be bad??

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you check the voltage on your battery? If your gauges are working then you definitely don't have enough to start the car.
On a side note if the car is sitting put a battery maintainer on it and you will always have a fully charged battery

Reactions: 2 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
take it off and take it to a starter shop, I recently did that for a vehicle, the guy charged me 5$.
I even did the same as yours, just a rusty ground connection.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I had the car jumper’d to my Hyundai for about a half hour, got up to 13.9 volts and still wouldn’t crank enough at start up. That’s when I decided to ditch the jumper cables and use the battery charger to jump it at 200 amps. Gauges and everything worked fine before, now nothing works at all

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
While you're pulling the starter, check continuity on the fusible links
Are the fusible links located on (or around) the starter?

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Check your battery cables and grounds. Fusable link fried?
Is that in-line on the positive battery cable somewhere? Between the battery and starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor