Have question about 1980 cutlass transmission kick down

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttyman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2014
Hey looking for some help with my 1980 cutlass calais . currently has a stock 305 with a th350. It recently developed a problem when shifting into gear the rpm's would drop severely almost like it was missing a cylinder but if you touch the throttle it was fine . i thought possible vacumn leak . i plugged the line going to the air cleaner temp sensor and when shifting into gear the car didnt run like a p.o.s. and seemed to hold idle . while inspecting this problem i noticed that what i believe is the transmission kickdown cable linkage to the carburateur was very lose . the link on the cable has a long area to slide on the part attatched to the carburateur. It seems like there should be some kind of retaining clip . so im wondering if its supposed to be like that or if there should be some sort of clip .i havent had the car for long and has been somewhat of a headache ever since i bought it as a replacement to my 80 supreme that was vandalised . any help with this is greatly appreciated.

cuttyman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2014
The link at the very back is the one im talking about
20180527_000059.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
There usually is some play in the cable end/ slide until you jump on the accelerator.

cuttyman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2014
There usually is some play in the cable end/ slide until you jump on the accelerator.

Thanks for the reply. Spent few more hours digging around the internet found exactly what the cables for and how to adjust if needed . was able to get it idling nice today after plugging that vacumn leak and went out for the ol sunday cruise. 20180527_211118.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor