Having odd steering problem on 81 Elky

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Put the front on jack stands and turn the wheels, if it still has problems it is the steering box, If the problems go away it is the geometry or alignment.
Thanks! If it is alignment/geometry would this be corrected by a front end alignment (I would have to take it somewhere) or would it need a more in-depth procedure?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
If it's not the steering box I would be concerned about something being bent especially a spindle.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Put the front on jack stands and turn the wheels, if it still has problems it is the steering box, If the problems go away it is the geometry or alignment.
Put the jack stands on the lower control arms. Not the frame

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Did it work right before. If so then its probably not the gearbox.
If it had sat open for a while and got moisture in it there could be a stuck check ball. Mine would power steer itself to the right till the pump stalled and burned the belt.
If it is a stuck check ball any suggestions on how to correct that? Because now that I think about the gearbox was unconnected for a couple of days.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
how many turns from hard left to center? then how far can you force it to the right?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Thanks for the heads up. Just out of curiosity how does that effect the outcome?
If you put them on the frame the suspension hangs. You want to mimic the car on the ground with the weight on the suspension

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
If you put them on the frame the suspension hangs. You want to mimic the car on the ground with the weight on the suspension
Thanks, I should have thought about that. Learn something new all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor