Having odd steering problem on 81 Elky

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Did it work right before. If so then its probably not the gearbox.
If it had sat open for a while and got moisture in it there could be a stuck check ball. Mine would power steer itself to the right till the pump stalled and burned the belt.
I was wrong.
Got it up on jacks started the engine and this thing is seriously steering itself to the left (drivers side).

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I was wrong.
Got it up on jacks started the engine and this thing is seriously steering itself to the left (drivers side).
When it first happened to me, my car had been sitting for 18 years. I reached through the window and through the wheel to start it. It was so fast it about broke my arm. I have a video of it turning with the key cranking the starter(distributor unplugged).
I had my local napa order a quick ratio gearbox for a monte caro ss/grand national. Had a different part number than the standard cars called for. It fixed my problem.

It sound like yours might not be full stuck if you can overpower it. I would still replace it. Wouldn't want it to stick fully while driving

Reactions: 1 user

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
When it first happened to me, my car had been sitting for 18 years. I reached through the window and through the wheel to start it. It was so fast it about broke my arm. I have a video of it turning with the key cranking the starter(distributor unplugged).
I had my local napa order a quick ratio gearbox for a monte caro ss/grand national. Had a different part number than the standard cars called for. It fixed my problem.

It sound like yours might not be full stuck if you can overpower it. I would still replace it. Wouldn't want it to stick fully while driving
Wow. Sorry about the arm! My God. Would the gearbox you used work for my 81 Elky without modification?

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Wow. Sorry about the arm! My God. Would the gearbox you used work for my 81 Elky without modification?
I am not sure on the year interchange for 81. That would be a question for some of the more experienced guys on here. I think physically it would bolt on but 82 was the year the lines changed to the o ring style and depending on your gearbox you may need the newer pitman arm.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I am not sure on the year interchange for 81. That would be a question for some of the more experienced guys on here. I think physically it would bolt on but 82 was the year the lines changed to the o ring style and depending on your gearbox you may need the newer pitman arm.
'80 was the year the change was done With the A/G's.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor