MONTE CARLO HAYDEN 3647

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have a PRIMECOOLING 4 Row Core Full Aluminum radiator coming and I am planning on installing a HAYDEN 3647 THERMOSTATIC FAN CONTROL to control the electric fan. The fan is a Flex a lite fan. Not sure of the model. Looking for some feedback on the HAYDEN 3647 because after I ordered it and it arrived I have read some more reviews and now I am second guessing the purchase of the HAYDEN 3647. Some of the reviews were good but most reviews were negative. Please share your feedback on my pending setup.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had a very similar Derale controller. I found that little screw that adjusted turn on temps without me touching it. At least max temp is 210, the Derale was 250! I ordered the Hayden 3652 and it will control one fan, on at 185, off at 170. The other will stay manually controlled, that s how much I trust controllers. The $60 Flexalite controller didn't last, went through two relay boards running Stratus fans in two years.

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have the HAYDEN 3647 wired up and it works! I want to know if I can use the AC wire to use a toggle switch to manually turn the fan on? How would I wire something like that?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I have the HAYDEN 3647 wired up and it works! I want to know if I can use the AC wire to use a toggle switch to manually turn the fan on? How would I wire something like that?
It works as in spins the blades OR cools the car or both?
Ideally, it should be on a relay, and you could diode isolate a trigger for said relay off the A/C pressure switch.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
It works as in spins the blades OR cools the car or both?
Ideally, it should be on a relay, and you could diode isolate a trigger for said relay off the A/C pressure switch.

I have no AC in the car. Since I have no AC how would I wire this to a toggle switch? I have done some research but I am not comfortable with wiring and electrical... Need some input from someone with experience please.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

I thought you were wanting to turn the fan on when the AC kicked in. If you have no AC then just find a switched source to trigger the relay to go to your switch. You can find the source in the fuse box

fusepanel.gif

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
I thought you were wanting to turn the fan on when the AC kicked in. If you have no AC then just find a switched source to trigger the relay to go to your switch. You can find the source in the fuse box

fusepanel.gif

Ok - find a power source in the fuse box and wire a switch with that source? On the switch one side will be the power from the fuse box and on the other will be the AC wire from the HAYDEN? Is that right? Will any power source work out of the fuse box? Do I need to be concered with voltage or anything like that? I bought a multimeter but dont know how to use it...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
on the left side of the fuse box there are locations marked "ING" which means they have power with the key in on position. The power wire goes to the switch, the other side of the switch goes to the relay to trigger the relay when you turn the switch to on position. I'm not sure what you mean by the AC wire from Hayden.

I looked up the wiring diagram from the unit and that AC wire is an option which will bypass the sensor and turn the fan on as soon as the AC turns on..you don't need to connect that wire since you have no AC. The wiring by this diagram is pretty straight forward. I would follow the diagram and use a 3 position switch so the fan will go on at the temperature you set. If you don't have it to go on automatically you may forget to monitor your gauge and the engine will overheat.

183354d1249943126-hayden-3647-cooling-fan-diagram-modified.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
on the left side of the fuse box there are locations marked "ING" which means they have power with the key in on position. The power wire goes to the switch, the other side of the switch goes to the relay to trigger the relay when you turn the switch to on position. I'm not sure what you mean by the AC wire from Hayden.

I looked up the wiring diagram from the unit and that AC wire is an option which will bypass the sensor and turn the fan on as soon as the AC turns on..you don't need to connect that wire since you have no AC. The wiring by this diagram is pretty straight forward. I would follow the diagram and use a 3 position switch so the fan will go on at the temperature you set. If you don't have it to go on automatically you may forget to monitor your gauge and the engine will overheat.

183354d1249943126-hayden-3647-cooling-fan-diagram-modified.jpg

I have it hooked up exactly like the diagram shows with the sensor inserted into the radiator by the top hose coming off the engine. What I am curious about is the green wire - the AC override. What does this green wire do? How does it work? Can I use that green wire to turn the fan on and off if the heat sensor fails?

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You need to take a look at the diagram, that shows you the primary switch and the secondary switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor