Head Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercool86

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hey guys, quick question. I forgot to plug the block by the hole for the oil pressure gauge on my new rebuild. So I have to rip the drivers head off to put the plug in. I know I have to get a new head gasket. But can I get away with reusing the head bolts?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
"Back in the day" we did it all the time....currently replacement is recommended. For the $20 they cost, why chance it?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
What am I risking by reusing the bolts? They're ARP, haven't seen heat but they were torqued down

LOL - carry on. Next time provide all critical information first.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
From ARP:

Are ARP bolts and studs re-usable?
Yes. As long as the fasteners have been installed and torqued correctly, and show no visible signs of damage, they can be re-used. If they show any signs of thread galling or corrosion, they should be replaced. In the case of rod bolts, if any of them have taken a permanent set and have stretched by .001” or longer, you should replace them immediately. See page 29 in the catalog for more detailed information on this critical measurement.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

commandercool86

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
From ARP:

Are ARP bolts and studs re-usable?
Yes. As long as the fasteners have been installed and torqued correctly, and show no visible signs of damage, they can be re-used. If they show any signs of thread galling or corrosion, they should be replaced. In the case of rod bolts, if any of them have taken a permanent set and have stretched by .001” or longer, you should replace them immediately. See page 29 in the catalog for more detailed information on this critical measurement.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Saves me a couple bucks

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Most ARP products aren't TTY, unlike stock stuff. Now ya know.

Reactions: 1 users

1badgbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2018
Buffalo, NY
I re-use head bolts all of the time and have never had a problem whether they were 30 year old factory bolts or ARP bolts, studs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor