Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
I'm so late to the game on this that it has already been played and done but,

Apart from the physical appearance of each as compared to the other, what is the big wheeze about Square Port LS heads being superior to the Cathedral versions? Is this some kind of full on race desirability that the one has over the other? And, if so , what is the point if the motor is only going to see street time and never get its mileage added on at the rate of a 1/4 mile per hour?

5.3, my, new to me, LS motor is a 02 which makes it second? generation; they were produced from 2001 to 2006. The heads carry the 706 designator which i.d.'s them as cathedral port and i think I am happier with them simply because the port design seems to place the injector as close to the valve as possible even if slightly higher than the square port does. Apart from that it does use the pull-push cable actuated throttle body, which I think I prefer to the FBW (fly by wire) newer units simply because it is the default operating mechanism in the vehicle for which this motor might be intended.

I gather from all the reference material lying about that one of the big restrictions with respect to this head is the valve size, 1.89" and the fact that it is seen to inhibit the amount of air/fuel that the pistons can suck into the combustion chamber during the intake stroke. Again, this seems to be more about race vs street. Agreed that the valves, at least the intake side of them, could be increased to a 2.02 but there is a cost involved to get there. However, the race on the street is from the last stop light to the next stoplight and it is usually red. Or it is from one coffee klatch to another. This is street racing and it is more about torque than top end as the ride that leaves first usually gets to be the first one ticketed by the cops for "exhibition driving".

So, looking for opinions here. As noted elsewhere, about all this motor would ever get by way of tweaks would be a cam and springs. The cam would fall into the "R-V" category as it would be a near stock lift but possess a longer duration for the pull. I like Isky but Comp seems to offer the widest choice. As for springs, beehives. The closer overall I can stay to stock, the happier my pocket book will be and the happier the motor ought to be.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You can make A LOT of HP with cathedral ports. Yes square ports make more hp, BUT it comes at the expense of low end torque, which is exactly what you need for a street driven vehicle.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
This title is very misleading,I thought it was going to be something more of a domestic capacity..
David Byrne Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Thanks for the confirmation, StreetBu. About confirms what I had suspected. A lot of material that has been generated on the topic seems to align with the Pro Street, race car with a license school which seems to be all about the top end and the et's While the adrenaline rush is probably outrageous, at this point in my life I get my adrenaline thrills mostly from just waking up in the morning.

Nick,

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Out of the box, L92 heads (rectangular port )flow more than cathedral port heads. Cathedral port heads have their place on smaller cube engines.

“most commonly known for their debut on the 2007 Escalade’s L92. Only one significant change was made for use on the LS3 engine in the Corvette, Camaro, and G8 GXP–hollow-stem valves. A better casting was used for added strength on the supercharged LSA, but it is also mostly unchanged since its original inception. Though sacrifices were made for emissions, you won’t find a higher-flowing head for the money. The L92 head was the first to boast 330 cfm while being dirt cheap, which started the craze. The massive intake valves necessitate a 4-inch-or-larger bore with no other special consideration needed. These heads are available for a scant $375 from Chevrolet Performance dealers, making them an excellent bang for the buck.”

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
On the smaller displacement engines (4.8-5.7) the "small valve" cathedral port heads are more efficient. I have cathedral port heads on everything in my fleet... and I am not hurting for power.

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
For a N/A motor, you wont beat a set of Cathedral 706 or 862 casting heads. Second best is Cathedral 243/799 casting.

Don't fall for airflow numbers, until you are over 400 cubes it doesnt make a difference.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Cathedral = Old technology
Rectangular = New technology

Meh, I disagree. GM changed the design to improve power and efficiency. Rectangular ports also allow you to run a factory supercharger. Everyone has an opinion (you know the saying) Most of them are not backed up by data that makes any sense. With VVT The alleged loss of torque on the low end is not an issue. As I stated previously, cathedral port heads perform well on smaller displacement engines.

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Testing negates opinion. Rec ports don't add much on 99% of builds. Just don't use 317 heads on anything that isn't boosted and you will be happy with your build.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm so late to the game on this that it has already been played and done but,

Apart from the physical appearance of each as compared to the other, what is the big wheeze about Square Port LS heads being superior to the Cathedral versions? Is this some kind of full on race desirability that the one has over the other? And, if so , what is the point if the motor is only going to see street time and never get its mileage added on at the rate of a 1/4 mile per hour?

5.3, my, new to me, LS motor is a 02 which makes it second? generation; they were produced from 2001 to 2006. The heads carry the 706 designator which i.d.'s them as cathedral port and i think I am happier with them simply because the port design seems to place the injector as close to the valve as possible even if slightly higher than the square port does. Apart from that it does use the pull-push cable actuated throttle body, which I think I prefer to the FBW (fly by wire) newer units simply because it is the default operating mechanism in the vehicle for which this motor might be intended.

I gather from all the reference material lying about that one of the big restrictions with respect to this head is the valve size, 1.89" and the fact that it is seen to inhibit the amount of air/fuel that the pistons can suck into the combustion chamber during the intake stroke. Again, this seems to be more about race vs street. Agreed that the valves, at least the intake side of them, could be increased to a 2.02 but there is a cost involved to get there. However, the race on the street is from the last stop light to the next stoplight and it is usually red. Or it is from one coffee klatch to another. This is street racing and it is more about torque than top end as the ride that leaves first usually gets to be the first one ticketed by the cops for "exhibition driving".

So, looking for opinions here. As noted elsewhere, about all this motor would ever get by way of tweaks would be a cam and springs. The cam would fall into the "R-V" category as it would be a near stock lift but possess a longer duration for the pull. I like Isky but Comp seems to offer the widest choice. As for springs, beehives. The closer overall I can stay to stock, the happier my pocket book will be and the happier the motor ought to be.

Nick
Stick with the heads you have Nick. Those stock cathedral port heads flow like the best aftermarket gen 1 SBC heads. They'll do everything you want.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor