Head leaking issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I had a problem where my driver side head gasket was leaking so I replaced it and torqued it down to 65 ft lbs with a harbor freight torque wrench.I got the car running and checked for leaks I saw on one corner a small drip leak and the other corner a little more of a drip leak from the gasket this is the same head that was leaking before.I'm planning on getting another torque wrench and checking it to make sure its at 65lbs.So my question is do you think it can be that its not torqued right or what else can I do.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Doubt it is the torque wrench. You should always have cylinder heads checked if you have to replace a headgasket. Take them off and take them to an automotive machine shop and have them checked for straightness. Check the block deck surface real well, it should be smooth and not pitted or uneven. Good Luck

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
CHRIS.O said:
Doubt it is the torque wrench. You should always have cylinder heads checked if you have to replace a headgasket. Take them off and take them to an automotive machine shop and have them checked for straightness. Check the block deck surface real well, it should be smooth and not pitted or uneven. Good Luck

I agree, I doubt it is the torque wrench. My first thought is the head is probably warped.
If the head was checked by a knowledgeable shop for straightness,the deck surface was checked and all sealing surfaces were properly cleaned and you are using a quality head gasket and since this is your second time doing this I would also inspect the threads for the head bolts and the condition of the head bolts themselves then my next question would be what proceedure did you use to torque your heads did you reference a how to rebuild book or some other way?

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
There wasn't any external leak coming from the head when I found out the head gasket was blown. I didn't take it to a shop to have it checked out we inspected it no cracks, or chips or pitting from we saw I torqued it down to the factory specs in the book 25 to 45 to 65ft lbs in the order it says.The bolts are in good shape not stripped all good threads we cleaned them also.I used permatex thread sealant on all the bolts and tapped all the threads in the block to get all the dirt and rtv that the last owner used.Do you think the thread sealant is not working since the little leak is in the 2 corners and I'm going to also check to make sure I torqued it 65lbs.I'm planning on getting new heads the price to get my heads checked and cleaned is $400 and up if it needs anything else so I just rather save the money and get new heads my heads are stock with port and polish and upgraded springs and roller rockets this is my first time doing this work everything else came out great but this little leak. I just want to get my car going for now until I get the money for new heads.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I understand the money issue for different heads but 400 bucks is robbery. The last time I had a cylinder head checked and surfaced I paid 80 dollars out the door on a 4.0l jeep, 2 years ago. Might want to search around for a better machine shop and tell them you just want the head checked for straightness and to surface it if needed. I personally have never used rtv on head bolts before. I have only use a PTFE sealer such as ARP thread sealer. Other companies make it as well.

Is coolant coming up the headbolts then?

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
CHRIS.O said:
I understand the money issue for different heads but 400 bucks is robbery. The last time I had a cylinder head checked and surfaced I paid 80 dollars out the door on a 4.0l jeep, 2 years ago. Might want to search around for a better machine shop and tell them you just want the head checked for straightness and to surface it if needed. I personally have never used rtv on head bolts before. I have only use a PTFE sealer such as ARP thread sealer. Other companies make it as well.

Is coolant coming up the headbolts then?

Here in Long island NY most good shops want that price and as far as the rtv that's what was on all the bolts when i took them out so i cleaned them and used permatex ptfe sealant.I haven't taken the valve cover off to see if any coolant came through but i will check.After i re-torque the bolts if it continues to leak i will take the heads to a shop and have them checked and surfaced.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I checked the heads today and the car isn't leaking the coolant anymore its not leaking anywhere at all this is weird the only thing i can remember is the head gasket had a sticky feel to it and i was told it might be some sort of sealant on the head gasket that seals it i drove the car around for an hour and no leaks or nothing so hopefully that's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor