head scratching on this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
If it's not too much trouble would you be able to take a pic of the bulkhead wire? Or tell me which colored wire distributes power to blinkers in the turn signal switch?

Its pretty easy under the hood. Just look at the colors of the wires that go to the directional and headlight bulb sockets. I took a test light, stuck the end into the bulkhead connector at each wire, turned on each blinker and looked to see if the test light blinked. When it didnt at the wire that went to the right side I knew it wasnt in the harness and had to be inside the car. Originally I was checking the sockets. Dumb move on my part.
You never answered the question. Did you remove the column ?? Did you unplug any of the wires that are connected at the column ? Pagrunt gave you all the colors of the wires coming from the bulkhead connector. Im pretty sure theyre the same color on the connector at the column.
Make sure the long connector on the column is snapped in all the way. Thats where my issue was. Its all black, long and kinda flat compared to the rest of them.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Yes I unbolted the column. Too see if there was an additional flasher on Top of the column but no I think it's only newer Elcos (mines is a 81) and I tried replugging my old turn signal switch switch and I have the same results from the video below. Still no breaks lights and still no reverse lights. There's no power at the relay location in the fuse panel.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Ok so I need y'all to take turns insulting me the worst way possible. There was no fuse in the turn signal / back up lamps. I have no idea how it had been working before I replaced the turn signal switch. Unless I'm starting to have alzheimers and I removed that fuse way back then. I don't know. I'm very close to finishing now. Everything works BUT, there is no signal, reverse, brake on my rear driver side. Anybody else have this issue? I'm gonna check the pigtail next to the fuel tank.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I gotta ask, are you 100000% sure that that long plug on the column is tight ? The one that has the purple wire that you messed with. It almost looks like the side with the purple wire is out a little compared to the other side. Im serious. All the grief I went through trying to track down my problem was from that single connector not being pushed down all the way and the wire connection was no good.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
I gotta ask, are you 100000% sure that that long plug on the column is tight ? The one that has the purple wire that you messed with. It almost looks like the side with the purple wire is out a little compared to the other side. Im serious. All the grief I went through trying to track down my problem was from that single connector not being pushed down all the way and the wire connection was no good.
I've plugged and unplugged it a bunch of times. I'm gonna test the yellow wire past the plug to see if it flashes with blinker on. Because I just checked the pigtail next to the fuel tank and there's no power going to left side blinker.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX

Finally!! My driver side reverse is the ONLY thing that doesn't work so I'll check the bulb in the morning. If i can't figure it out I'll just run a bridge from the passenger reverse light. Thanks y'all for real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor