Head swap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I've had a set of modified (screw in studs,guide plates, 2.02/1.6 valves roller rockers) sbc 441 heads sitting in my garage for a couple years (they worked fine before I set them aside). The car I'm want to put them on is my 76 Chevelle which I generally use to run to the store/daily driver kind of thing. They literally have some dust on them. Is there anything I should with them before I install them other than a quick clean?

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
were they rebuilt and then set to the side? or did they come off a running engine?

check for surface rust, maybe lube the valve stem guides 🤔

Reactions: 1 user

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I would suggest a set of valve seals, o-ring or umbrella style while they are off the engine. Gives you a chance to also lube the guides and check for wear.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
were they rebuilt and then set to the side? or did they come off a running engine?

check for surface rust, maybe lube the valve stem guides 🤔
They came off a running engine. I had run them before, then my brother bought the engine off me. he decided he was going to run vortecs so I bought the heads back off him. just haven't had the time to install them on my current engine (slightly modified 355/rv style camshaft).

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I would suggest a set of valve seals, o-ring or umbrella style while they are off the engine. Gives you a chance to also lube the guides and check for wear.
ok, thanks. Will check for a shop to get that done. There are just certain things I don't feel comfortable doing myself.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Short of a rebuild as suggested by some above, above with seat/guides etc, IMO I would:
1. lap the valves
2. Reassemble with new valve stems and run them.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Make sure the valve springs match the cam you're running in the engine you're putting them on

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor