Header choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhite9100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 6, 2018
Hello my name is shawn. I am new to this forum. I have a question.. I have an 84 cutlass that I'm putting a 76 olds 350 in. I'm trying to find a header that will work and not be as bad for fitment. I installed some headman street headers but they still seem to hit on starter. I do have a mini starter on it. Any recommendations of a brand or type that might fit little better. I do want to stick with a long tube header. Thank you all with any help and recommendations!!

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
American Racing Headers are the only way to go for long tube headers imo. Cheap? Nope. Worth the cost? Every penny.

Reactions: 1 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
O have had good luck with FlowTech "shorty" headers .as well a Doug Thorley as well .Even hooker fitment was fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Flowtech headers are rusty and leaky. The Hedman are a better choice over the Flowtech. That leaves Hooker, not cheap and the very not cheap American racing headers for full length. The Thornton are stainless but are shorties designed to bolt on to early A body down pipes.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
It depends on what you want to do with the car. Shorty headers give you more ground clearance and more low end torque.And long tube headers give you more power toward the upper end.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I use a 300 hp Dodge Magnum crate motor Dyno test as an example. They start out with restrictive truck/van 318 manifolds, necked down so they can fit under the van dog house. I had to change one manifold when I swapped a car 318 in my 77 Dodge van. They are very similar to Olds SB manifolds, at least the non swirl port cast manifold. They got their baseline with them. The put on 360 manifolds, gained 11 hp, 340 hp manifolds 13 hp, shorty headers 21, full length stepped 28 hp with nearly matching torque gains on all. Of course this assumes a good exhaust system behind as well. I would try a different mini starter or rap it in heat reflecting insulation, some mini's tuck up tighter than other designs. I actually ground the body slightly on my current mini starter. I needed it super tight when I had it on my Olds 350 powered Z71 to clear the front diff. With stock tiny cam your gains will only be so much. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor