CHEVY Header coating options

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
So after reviewing all the work that needs done on the el camino (its so bad i really want to just send it to Donovan) i thought the one thing in the engine bay i was going to keep was the headers, until i got under the car to see that on the bottom of the long tubes right before the collectors they are smashed like someone hit too big of a bump and dragged the headers. So throw those into the f**k it bucket and start over when the time comes. What would be the best coating for headers that would see a lot of street use? Should i go straight up stainless or ceramic coated or something different? I only ask because ive never had the cash to run good headers and always settled for the cheap painted ones that rust out in a few years, so no experience in that area on how the various coatings hold up.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
The cheap painted ones don't have a heat resistant paint, more of a rust preventative paint during storage. Having someone local to you ceramic coat them is the best bang for the buck. Here in Louisville it usually costs around $150-200 depending on shorty or long tube headers.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I built my 500 Caddy headers from a 1-7/8” SBC Jegs kit and Caddy flanges. The tubes were aluminized. I took them to a local coater who used silver Cerakote and it is flawless, chip resistant, and hasn’t changed color at all in 3000 miles. $175 to coat vs $550 for Jet Hot brand coating.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
headers rust inside out so they should be coated on the inside as well

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
headers rust inside out so they should be coated on the inside as well

$175 covered that in my case. The guy did a great job and I have zero complaints. I really need to call him back and give him positive feedback.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor