Header insulating tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gig

Apprentice
Feb 5, 2020
San Antonio
I’ve got a set of hooker headers for my LS swap. Is wrapping the headers with insulating tape worth the time and money?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
What happens with header wrap is,it,traps moisture and rusts out the headers faster than normal.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
If you can afford it,ceramic coating your headers will help keep the heat down.
I have also heard that wrapping them can cause them to rust.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I wrapped the Hookers I got on the 71 about 25 years ago, and they hadn't rusted through yet. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't. I'd opt for ceramic coat instead.

One, it was a PITA, and two, it was a bit pricey at the time. And likely 3rd, I'm not a big fan of the "mummy header" look. But, since I did, it definitely knocked down some heat radiation. I noticed that right away. The lump between the headers still pumps out enough heat it didn't seem to matter overall though. If you had to minimize heat where the headers would be close to, it probably helps, but overall, I don't think it was worth it. JMO.

Reactions: 4 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The wrap is good for close contact parts. Otherwise it absorbs oil, it turns color, once it dries out the fibers break free and get all over. For a long term fix I would avoid it. I tried it on my first set of headers in the race car and would never do it again.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you can afford it,ceramic coating your headers will help keep the heat down.
I have also heard that wrapping them can cause them to rust.
Guy

and don't forget to coat the inside as well, headers rust from the inside out

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I've used DEI header wrap on a few sets of headers and never had a rust problem. I've even wrapped ceramic coated headers before. No issues
The titanium lava wrap looks better and lasts longer than the old style wrap

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I've used DEI header wrap on a few sets of headers and never had a rust problem. I've even wrapped ceramic coated headers before. No issues
The titanium lava wrap looks better and lasts longer than the old style wrap

I have a set of coated (inside and out) headers on my non-g body. After 25+ years the coating started looking a little rough. I like the industrial look of the Titanium DEI wrap. So while I had the headers off for another updated, I wrapped them. They look good next to the fabricated tig welded valve covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor