Header leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The gaskets for my TES headers are leaking. Any recommendations for replacement header gaskets?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I always use embossed copper gaskets for my headers, never any leaks or bolts coming loose, on my Monte I use SCE.
My last set I bought from Flatout for my Regal because I had to match the exhaust port to the Ebay header.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
My brother swears by Remflex gaskets and I gotta say after seeing him use them I would certainly use them.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I am also on the copper band wagon for headers. No header gasket should be that paper type gasket at either end.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I use Copper or Aluminum and coat them in Permatex Optimum Grey RTV and let it dry 24 hours. I had the Copper leak uncoated.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
My headers are the old Edelbrock emission legal shorty headers, the TES headers. The old gaskets were a steel core composite and it looks like they have simply started to designate from age. Looking at the exposed gasket edges sticking out of the port flanges the steel core is rusty and it looks like the composite coating is cracking and flaking off the steel core. Probably can't even get direct replacements now and not impressed by their quality. I like the looks of the Remflex gaskets.

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I stick with copper. Ain't broke why fix it with something 'engineered'.... no substitute for an aging process to tell long term durability and you can tell that unless you want to wait a really long time, and, I don't really take things back apart often enough to change it out.

Never lost an engine, and haven't had one go sick. Closest would be the one in our firebird, but, it burned lots of oil when I got it and already really needed a rebuild, just went further downhill in the last 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor